1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag or EX mark?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by 94chevytruck, Apr 30, 2004.

1. 94chevytruck

94chevytruck LawnSite Member

ok. I currently have a 36" exmark metro. I am looking to go to a hydro w/b. I am looking at the viking. whats the price of this? also, my dealer gave me a great deal on a year old scag that has never been used. What are the pros of using an ex mark and the cons of a scag. I really want the ex mark. i love the mower, the quality of cut, the depenability and the fact that the dealer is 5 mins from any house i mow!! I have never had a scag before. anyone that has one, especially a hydro and fixed deck. do you like them. how is the quality of cut compared to an ex mark?
    Thanks for any information
    P.S i have sent 2 other threads but they do not show up on the board. sorry if there is like 3 new threads from me
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The 36" Viking has a MSRP of $4299, the 48" is $4399 and the 52" is $4699.

Both machines are good. You will notice that we have quite a bit higher blade tip speed than the other brand. We believe to combination of blade tip speed and the flow control baffles give us a higher quality of cut when bagging and side discharging as well as when mulching.

You'll like the single knob tracking adjustment and the annual hydro maintenance rather than every few hundred hours or less associated with some hydro drive machines.

You'll also appreciate that we don't use an electric clutch on this model. We prefer to use a mechanical blade engagement rather than an electric PTO. Over time the mechanical engagement has proven to be more reliable and much less expensive to replace than an electric clutch. The key to the mechanical blade engagements success has been matching it to the correct horsepower engines and cutting widths.

One other often overlooked feature is the semi-pneumatic front tires. These tires have all the impact absorption of a pneumatic tire without the flats.

If you require large cutting height adjustment you can raise and lower the rear wheel motor mounting brackets on the Viking. I believe you must unbolt the mower deck and relocate it with the other machine but don't quote me on that.

We also use "no-maintenance" blade spindles which means less effort to keep the machine up and running on your part. The deck also has fully welded seams where the skirt meets the roof. We believe that this added step in the deck construction greatly increases its rigidity and strength.

I believe you will also like the ECS control. While no single control system is "best" for everyone we believe our system is more comfortable and more user friendly to a larger variety of operators.

I'm sure I'm forgetting several things but these are the highlights.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thank you,