Scag or Examrk W/B

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mortymower, May 6, 2005.

1. Mortymower

Mortymower LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a new exmark or scag hydro fixed deck walkbehind, i dont know much about either but i have an Exmark ZTR and love it. But i have heard good about scags so i wanted to get a few opinions. :cool:
  2. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

My friend has a Scag and swears by it. He wouldn't have anything else.

I have Toro equipment and love them. However, I will likely get an Exmark for my next wb because of the ECS grip system.
  3. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

Both machines are great machines.

I have a Scag w/b and I'm very happy with it. I know that you will also find a lot of Exmark lovers on this site as well.

Before you purchase either machine, make sure you have good dealer support. That is key down the road for service, parts, questions, repairs.
  4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 99 Scag 52" SWZ. I use it primarily on larger wide open properties and the Walker on smaller properties. I have to say that it is the best walkbehind built and it has the best cut and stripe. I have tried Exmark and they also have a great machine but not built well enough. Scags are tanks and that's what they are known for by many. I will buy nothing else but Scag Walkbehinds and riders with an occasional Walker. Personalyl I would demo both machines on your properties and look into how dealer support would be for both machines and base my decision on that. Good luck.
  5. MJhnson Lawn

MJhnson Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a Scag 36" belt drive, Kaw eng,Its a tough and durable mower
    and gives a good cut. I don't thionk anything can bend the deck. I love
    the way its built. Like someone said its a tank. I plan on buying 48" hydro
    floating deck Scag this year.
  6. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

had both . I like exmarks cut better
  7. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I've used both extensively. I used these model scags: Scag cougar 48", scag turf tiger 60", 48" hydro, and 36" belt. All were excellent machines with little or no downtime. I bought an exmark. The pistol grips on the scag were hell on my arms. I had tendonitis for a long time while using the pistols. The ecs controls are so, so much better. I think exmark, at least mine, stripes better than your average scag. Scag is a great machine, but I picked up an exmark.
  8. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Both are excellent machines, you can't go wrong with either one. I have a Scag that I still use that's easily over 20 years old and still going strong, best mower I have ever had.

Why the fixed deck and not a floater? If your mowing height varies more than an inch you should go with a floating deck.