Scag or Exmark Walkbehind 48

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eatonpcat, Mar 10, 2005.

1. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I've naroowed it down to A 48" belt drive Scag or Exmark Metro.
    Exmark - 2700.00 W/ 15 HP Kohler
    Scag - 3000.00 W/ 15 HP Kaw.

Leaning toward the Scag, anyone have an opinion.
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I'd go with the Exmark.
  3. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Either is good for carpal tunnel syndrome, I dont know which would give it to you sooner tho, probably the Scag tho.
  4. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

If you can afford a hydro, definitely go with hydro. Overall, it is a much easier machine to use. I know it can really break your budge.

However, I owned a 48" belt Scag W/B and it was a great machine. I sold it for a hydro last year.

On my Scag 48" belt drive, I did pay an extra $300 and went with the 17hp Kawi on it. If you can swing it, definitely go with the 17hp Kawi. Those extra two horsepower can NEVER hurt to have. Especially in thick grass.

I don't believe Exmark offers a 17hp on any 48" w/b.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
  5. eatonpcat

Can't afford the Hydro, But appreciate the info.
  6. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

That scag seems over priced for the 15hp. Definetly get the 17hp. I have a 17hp 48" Scag gear drive. Excellent mower got it for 3500 with catcher and sulky. Has been very good to me and have had no problems what so ever. I am selling it to upgrade to a hydro. $2300 OBO. has maybe 200 hours on it
  7. eatonpcat

BMFD, Wish you were geographically closer, Would like to take a look at your used Scag. Hard to believe it has only 200 hours on it, Why do you need a Hydro if your only mowing a couple hundred hour a year??
  8. kturf

kturf LawnSite Member

For sale Exmark 48'' walk behind in NC

For sale 2003 Exmark 48 " metro walk behind with velkey used one season has about 45 hrs on it used by homeowner.1750.00 obo call or pm at 336 280-3074
    Attached Images
    look in equipment area for a picture
  9. eatonpcat

Kturf, Mower Looks Good, Would like to see it in person, but I won't be passing thru NC until September.
  10. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

last year I only did 20 accounts and they were very small. I added on many bigger accounts and now have 30 accounts and dropped some of the old small ones so I have 30 accounts that run from 1/2 to seven acres. I need a hydro walkbehind and I am also adding on a ztr. Things are going very well for me and I can only really afford the hydro if I sell the geardrive for a good price.