Scag or Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snowbrdr360, Apr 23, 2007.

1. snowbrdr360

snowbrdr360 LawnSite Member

Well, I need to add another Z. Currently I've got a Scag Tiger Cub with a 48" deck (allong with a 48" Scag WB and a 21" WB) its great on my residentials but we've taken on some bigger accounts and I can already see that I am going to be streched thin. Went to the dealer today and looked at a new Turf Tiger 29 HP Kawi liquid cooled/fuel injected w/ a 61" deck. They'll set me up out the door tomorow for just a hair over 10K.

Now, I love my Scag, but my buddy is running the Exmark Lazer Z's and I LOVE the way they cut... Havent even priced a similiar unit out yet, but I just wanted to grag some opinions:drinkup:

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I have both Exmark and Scag. I have the Ultra Cut and the Velocity decks. The Scag does better on wet grass, over grown lawns, and hills. It also holds slopes much better. The Exmark has a smoother cut, faster more responsive hydraulics, does better in tight small areas that the tt feels a bit clumsy. Out in the open the Tiger is a beast of a machine that handles the slopes about as good as some WB's. So for nice weekly manicured lawns I would say Exmark. For mowing in less than ideal conditions such as overgrown or wet grass Scag is the one. Both machines have strengths and weaknesses. The Velocity deck may not be as smooth as the Exmark but it is much more versatile. It will mow in any condition. Good luck, both fine machines.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yea. my eXmark does poorly on wet grass and slopes... it looks like to me that the center of gravety is lower on an scag....

But, My dealer put me out the door for just a little under 7,000 on the eXmark.
    it was lastyears model....

4. gwalk70

gwalk70 LawnSite Member

I have been having the same problem with trying to decide right now. One other thing that I think is very important to consider is what you have available to you from the dealership when it comes to service. Are they conveniently located to you, can they set you up with a loaner, and how quick is their turn-around?

5. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I pretty much agree. I had an XS 60" ultra cut and moved to a 61" velocity Scag this year.

In the tractor part of the machine I would say scag hands down for me. I get way less turf damage on the scag and like tacoma stated your low and it hold hills very well.

Deck and actual quality of cut the Ultra Cut Exmark IMO is tough to top. The Scag does a good job it jsut doesn't chop up clippings as well and for some reason the exmark utra-cut just leaves a polished look to well manicured turf.

-TAZ

6. snowbrdr360

snowbrdr360 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards the Scag right now. I like my dealer and they have been nothing but great, they're going to throw in a mulch kit and the striper kit as well. Im headed back there tomororw

7. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Hey, that's great! The mulch kit is a couple hundred.

You'll love the machine. I liked my 2001 TT a lot until I got the new 06.:laugh: Now I don't want to use it, I want to stay on the new one!
    eXmark was my number 2 choice also. I liked the machine, but the Scag stuck to the hills like nothing else. In my case, I found quality of cut to be good on both. Also, the power. eXmark didn't have the 35hp motor. Those two things combined with the build quality of the Scag made my choice.

It's also easy to service. An impact gun makes blade changes take less than 5 minutes. The Jungle Jack works great front and rear. The only thing I miss is on the pumps. They now have a hex head instead of the long bolt you could turn by hand to freewheel. No big deal though.

It's a great machine and I am glad I bought it.

A

8. TAZ

from Ohio

I haven't tried mulching with the scag. From my experience with the exmark I would opt for more HP. The turf striper works great but it's a little tough to get to the release pins to engage or disengage it.

I hope you like it. I like mine. :)

-TAZ

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I might throw in if you bag Exmark would be the better choice. They just have more lift than other decks I've tried. All you have to do is go over some leaves with the high lifts. A Hustler XR7 will just scatter them, the Scag Velocity will do better but a Lazer will not leave a leaf on the ground. The ground behind the mower will be bare. The Scag and Hustler just can't do this due to the deck design.

Another example: blowing off parking lots, drive ways, etc. I can use my Exmark like a power blower, it will clean a drive way bare of any grass clipping and blow them solidly in one direction. The Velocity just won't do that. It will blow most out the chute but it just scatters a lot of them in the opposite direction. Just an observation. I have both so I'm not partial. I use the Scag more now but when it comes to lift the Exmark doesn't have much competition.

10. TAZ

from Ohio

I totally agree on this. The exmark lifts better and the scag just the grass out the chute. I think that "lift" is what gives that polished look on the wel manicured stuff. It looks like it was vacuumed up and it's like a table top smooth cut. These Exmarks we are refering to are Ultra-cuts. I wonder if they got the triton performing as well as the old ultra yet.....

-TAZ