Scag Or Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bettern'goats, Jan 13, 2003.

1. bettern'goats

bettern'goats LawnSite Member

I've got a problem. I have a scag turf tiger with the 61" advantage deck. The mower is a mid-mount. Last year 60% of my customers yards we're being scalped in different locations. I took the mower back to where I bought it. They checked tire pressure, deck heighth, and so on, then told me everything was fine. Later on, I was told that all mid-mount mowers had this problem, and that I should look into exmark. I went to their site today, and it looks like their mowers are mid mounts too. Can ya'll give me any help?

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I can't tell ya which one is better,I like features on both.However if you want to be in the "click" you better buy a red one!;)

3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I've been running a 60" Lazer Z (23 Kawi) for 2 full seasons now.

Zero scalping problems...in fact, 980 hours to date, and besides oil and filter changes, I have only had to replace the mule drive belt once (@450 hrs) and one caster tire (one too many plugs at 700 hrs).

This machine has been superb...and I would recommend it to anyone.

I also bought a TTHP 36" w'ECS back in the spring (for gated lawns and backup purposes) and have had no troubles from it either. Granted, it does not have more than 20 hours on it yet. Still, she's a sweet cutting machine.

I trust Exmark with my moolah...and my next ZTR will undoubtedly be an Exmark. :)

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Have used mid mount Scags since they began. Used Scags of some type since 1986. No Problems. You have to get used to the machine and know where they can and cannot go. This does not matter what type of mower you use. Even front deck mowers will scalp if used incorrectly. My suggestion is to make notes of where you have scalping and just cut differently. The problem is not in the mower.

5. Marks

Marks LawnSite Member

ZTR riders exmark,,for walkbehinds Scag.Either one is a verygood mower....Marks

6. beasleyslawn

beasleyslawn LawnSite Member

i have a exmark lazer 52" and would not trade it for anything else. i have owned it for two yrs and i have never had a scalping problem.

7. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I have an eXmark EPS. I replaced a Great Dane Chariot with this machine, no comparison. I love the eXmark. No scalping problems, look at where the front castors are located. The castor location does not leave much room for scalping. I had ran the chariot since 1998 and have had SCAG walkbehinds since around 1995. The eXmark has by far the best cut quality. I think the fact alone that eXmark is here on this site to answer our questions is worth taking a good look at them. I am looking at them to replace my current walkbehind in the Spring. As for "grassdaddy's" comment as to being in a "CLICK"... use one and you will see why there is a following. Hope this helps you out.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds to me like the anti-scalp wheels are not set correctly. EricELM helped me set mine up when I first got it. I put the deck at the height I was going to cut at and then put the anti-scalp wheels about 1/4" off the ground. That eliminated all the problems I was having with scalping.

99% of the time I've seen this happen to anybody it was due to that.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, it sounds like you may be just mowing way too low for the properties you are on. Secondly, do what 65hoss said and adjust/correct the anti-scalp wheels to where they should be. Sounds like they are up too high and doing no good in uneven terrain.

just my 2 cents.

10. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like your Scag is working fine, its just you have to adjust the anti-scalp wheels on the deck and also change the cutting height on some of the lawns that you are mowing. The other thing is, know where it's scalping and use the foot deck lift and lift the deck up alittle in the areas where your scalping, if its a major area then look at the anti-scalp wheels.
    Its not a problem of a bad machine its the adjustments on the machine that make the difference.
    Matt