scag or exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Huff11, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Huff11

Huff11 LawnSite Member

I currently have a scag TT 61 I am looking to get a second mower next year. I also have a 21 inch push mower. I have been considering a scag or exmark walk behind or a stand on mower but I cant decide which would be better. I am looking to get a 48 or 52 inch cut. My body frame is 6 feet 3 inch and I weigh 210 if size is a factor with either.
    Can you guys give me some help picking between the scag and exmark machines whether it be a walk behind or a stander?
    Thanks!

2. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you mowing hills? What size properties? Are you solo and need to increase versatility or do you have a helper and want to increase productivity? We really need to know what your goals are.

3. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

We have a vantage I'm 6,2 225 and I don't have a problem with the front being light. But since you have a scag I would stick with one brand. Makes it easy getting parts and only having to deal with one dealer
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Huff11

Huff11 LawnSite Member

I am a solo guy and Im looking for something to do small yards or hills where my Scag TT isn't going to be efficient. I want to know whether the stand on mower will be sufficient or is a walk behind with a pro slide a better option? I love my scag but I want to know if an exmark walk behind may be a better choice or the stand on mower. Who has the better cut and stripe? What motor and deck size would you all recommend?

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

In some respects a stander is like a rider only you are standing up instead of sitting. If you have hills a wb is the better option. Exmark vs Scag: that will depend on what you like. Each deck has its strong points.

6. Huff11

Huff11 LawnSite Member

I only have room for one more mower on my trailer so I want to make sure Im going to get the perfect complementary mower to my scag TT. The velocity deck is amazing but as far as exmark I have zero experience with the machines but my dealer sells both brands and the exmark looks like a good machine.

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I am also 6' 3". I would choose Scag. IMO

8. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

I own Turf Tigers and Exmark Lazers. I feel that the Turf Tiger is the superior rider... and by a good margin. I also own Exmark Turf Tracer WB's and have friends who have allowed me to run their Scag WB's and I believe the Exmark Turf Tracers are the superior WB's. They both cut great but I prefer the Exmark ECS handles and their floating deck design. It's tough to beat an Exmark walk behind. Scag has a new walk behind that has a configuration similar to the ECS system and a great deck lift system. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to demo one some time soon.

9. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

The old scag vs exmark....have you looked at gravely? Or are you set on these 2

10. Huff11

Huff11 LawnSite Member

The only dealers near me are scag, exmark, and john deere