Scag or Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobac, Jun 25, 2003.

1. bobac

bobac LawnSite Member

What would you guys recommend for a cheaper Hydro walkbehind. I am doing this on the side so it will only be used about 10 hours a week. I like the Scag and the Exmark W/b's. What would you guys recommend

2. Regaurdless of the few dollars in the diff of price, the Exmarks will out perform teh Scags.

And you small amount of time used Examrk will let you get maximum productivity in that time.

3. We own both scag and exmark and are very satisfied with both, the exmark is my personal favorite in the w/b's because of the ecs controls.

Steve :cool:

4. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

The Scags are great machines. Demo both and decide and most importantly find a good dealer.

5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 52" Scag hydro walkbehinds and they have both been great to me. The first one I got in 2001 has a 14 hp Kawasaki, not bad but a little uunderpowered. Then I just got another 52" 1999 hydor and I love the thing. It has a 17 hp Kawasaki and it handles 8" grass with ease. I have never tired Exmark walkbehinds but I would Demo then bothh and go for the one you like best. Good luck

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Yeah! What Mike said!

745resized.jpg

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

eXmark---hands down.

8. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

I think scag is the best walkbehind out there but there Rider ZTRs just can't do the job as well as the Exmarks, Toros, or Hustler's.....Marks Mowing Service

9. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36"w/b hydro scag, w/a two wheeled sulky, very pleased with it. Never tried a Exmark, But have seen lawns after and they do a good job also. Like they said earlier, Demo them both and make sure you have good dealer support..

Lou :cool:

10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If blades are equally sharp on both mowers, if you are so fastidious on cut and beauty, please look at eXmark, cause nobody does it better, eXmark will eat Scag alive...

If you want "Abram Tank" and don't care about comfort or beauty, all you want is durability to do volume for years to come, make no mistake Scag's all pistol WB is the choice. I have seen Scag WB over 12 years still kicking butt with original parts!