1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag or Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mortymower, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Mortymower

Mortymower LawnSite Member

Hi I want to know whether to by the Exmark HP with a 17 twin, and a 44 deck , or the Tiger cub with a 19 twin and a 48 deck? any info is welcome
  2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I think they are both good. i have an exmark but would demo both of them if you could.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I never owned an ex-mark, but I do own the scag tiger cub and I am well pleased with the mower, I have the 20 hp kohler and 48'' deck. Get the dealer to show you how simple the belts are to change, all that is needed is a 1/2 drive ratchet. Look at the bearings in the deck they are automotive design. I think its a stronger made mower but that is just my opinion. Also check out the dealers and see which has better support in case you need help with the mower. And lastly see if they will let you demo the mowers and see which does better on the propertys you mow
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

AND DID I MENTION THAT THE DEALER IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE MACHINE USUALLY??? If you have never had problems with a dealer i cannot stress enough. Once you've had a bad dealer you appreciate the good ones.
  5. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Scags are a tough built machine as was already pointed out. Exmarks leave a nice cut too. If you are cutting a lot of high end residential or commercial accounts go with the eXmark. If your cutting a lot of rough terrian or weedy lawns like you would find in the country then Id go with the scag for durability. Try both, consider its use to you, and pick the one that seems like the better choice.
  6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry I fogot to add, scags can leave a nice cut too.
  7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric, can you please be more specific...and emphatic?
  8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

if the qualty of cut matters go with the exmark.also scag uses a cheaper pump and motor system
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Unless your properties just wont hold them, I would go with at least a 52" deck.
  10. A&M Landscaping

A&M Landscaping LawnSite Member

Go with the Exmark. I have a Exmark Lazer Z HP with the 48 inch deck and it is one of the best mowers out there. Most people i know hate the scags. The say it does not cut as nice as the Exmark. So far i have not had any problems with it.