1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag or ferris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by WARRIOR44M, Sep 22, 2013.

1. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you looking forward to getting rid of it?

WARRIOR44M LawnSite Member

Wanting to switch to a scag, Ferris is a good machine some pros and cons. I just think all of which I've read that scag is a better quality machine.

2010 3100 z Ferris 580 hours, 30 hp van guard. Icd deck. I will be advertising it by spring, maybe earlier. Well maintained, garage kept, never left outside.
  4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Before I bought my Z950 JD I was about to buy a Scag TT. I love those mowers. The Cheetah is nice enough, but I doubt it's built any better than the 3100 after looking at them too. I kinda wish I had gone with the 3100, but dealer location was a big problem for me. anyway, the Cheetah is way too cramped feeling to me. Tiny floor board area etc. the TT was the only real Scag choice IMO. I don't mow at speeds that require the Cheetah's top end, and I could care less about speed bragging rights. I just want a mower that is fast enough to make me time and money.

Right after I bought my 950 Gravely came out with the new 400 series. That will be my next machine no doubt, and that's saying a lot, since I have been a die hard Deere man for all my equipment for many years.
  5. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

Well Warrior, you're right - there are pros and cons - to both machines. I absolutely love my Turf Tigers. I do believe they are without equal for everyday mowing. Solid build, excellent design, the most versatile deck in the industry - these machines were made for the commercial world of mowing. But they do have flaws - the small fuel tank, no EFI option over 30hp (though, from what I understand, that will be corrected next year), and the ride. The ride isn't terrible. It's actually what I'd call typical for a full size zero. But you're coming from a full suspension mower and I would imagine that it would be a difficult transition to a rigid frame mower. From everything I've read, the Ferris 3100 is a solid commercial unit and it's deck is pretty much a copy of the Scag Velocity Plus deck. I'd spend quite a bit of time running demos before I made that leap... the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

As I said, I love my Turf Tigers... wouldn't trade them for anything. But I am planning on running demos on the Ferris 3100 either this fall or next spring because I do have interest in the Ferris as a specialty mower for rough properties.
  6. Brules

Brules LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma

If you are bogging down a 30HP Vanguard engine.....I dont think switching mowers will fix the problem or adding 2-5 more HP....you must be mowing too much grass lol....
  7. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Good advice...

Good luck with your demos when you get around to it, Im sure you will be very pleased with the Ferris.
  8. velezivan

velezivan LawnSite Member

I would go with the Turf Tiger. I used one for about a year that I borrowed from a friend before I bought my machine and I loved it. Unfortunately I didn't have the dough to buy a new one so I got the Tiger Cat which is a great machine, but doesn't compare to the Turf Tiger. That machine is a beast!

I appreciate all your post. I agree that maybe my knowledge of scags would help me determine what i plan on doing next spring.
    { scag turf tiger/ cheetah or ferris 3100} which is the far superior machine.
  10. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

While Scag is not my favorite, there is no question they make a great mower. I would take them over a Ferris any day. Their build on their riders and fixed deck walk behinds is immaculate. Wish they made a push mower.