1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scag or grasshopper 61"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scenery Lawn Care, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Scenery Lawn Care

Scenery Lawn Care LawnSite Member

i am looking at getting a zero turn, i went to the two closest dealers to me and i think i narrowed it down to two. Grasshopper model 223 61 inch deck and kohler 23 hp engine. The second one is Scag tiger club 61 inch with a 25 hp kohler engine. So i would like any input if u you have both of these mowers, or if u just have one of them. they are both the same price range, the only thing i like better is i can get the grasshopper for 1.9 percent for 48 months, rather then the scag is 1.9 for 36 months. So what do you guys think?
  2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Scag has 0% for 36 months!
  3. Scenery Lawn Care

o, i must have misunderstood the sales man
  4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

They just came out with that promotion. He may not be aware of it. They have the 1.9% available as well. Doesn't have near the standards that the 0% plan has.
  5. ex lawncare retailer

ex lawncare retailer LawnSite Member

The Scag dealer may have another lending source. When I sold, the manufacturers would charge an extra 2% or more to use their financing. So we found a place that would give us competitive rates without taking the percentage. It saved money for both parties.

As to the mower question, buy the Scag. I have experience with both and you will see fewer problems with the Scag. The Hopper hydro dump valves are a b**ch to get to and it's harder to work on. If you "outsource" parts, you'll find more Scag parts readily available in catalogs/aftermarket, too.
  6. Scenery Lawn Care

thanks for the info, thats what i was kinda leaning towards, but in this area i see alot more grasshoppers then anything else, i guess thats prob because the dealer is alot better to deal with, if the machine breaks down they will give u a free donor, rather then if the scag breaks it will cost 200 for a loaner for however long it takes to fix the mower. But i have done research and found alot more aftermarket parts for scag, i couldnt hardly find anything on the grasshopper.
  7. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Those Grasshoppers are VERY NICE machines for sure. :usflag:
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Lots of larts are available for Grasshoppers from Stens, Rotary, J.Thomas, and Oregon.
    Buy the mower that best fits your needs, which you will determine by getting a demo on each brand. Also, dealer support is much more important than price. NEVER buy based on price alone. Try to get a demo before you decide. It will payoff in the longrun.
  9. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Grasshopper 223 with a 52" deck. In my opinion they should not sell a 23hp on a 61" deck, not near enough motor. The only complaint about the hopper is cutting wet and sticky grass. Both are well built machaines.
  10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Do NOT get a 23 hp 61" (223) grasshopper. That's WAY underpowered. MY 227 61" barely has enough power to cut 2 to 3 inches of grass off, let alone do that while going up a small slope. There's another member on there that also has a 223- 61" and he has said the same thing. It's just not enough power for the weight and the huge hydros that G-hopper uses.

I am adding this: I agree with turf dawg. The discharge of the 61" deck is lack-luster at best. If it's dry as a popcorn fart it will be ok, but if it's even a little wet the grass blows out a few feet at the most and usually comes out in clumps. If I had to side discarge all the time with my 61" grasshopper I'd drive it off a cliff.