1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag or Gravely

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by biodale, Dec 15, 2012.

1. biodale

biodale LawnSite Member

I am considering a new mower. Looking at Scag Tiger Cat or Gravely pro turn 148. They both look like good mowers, but the Gravely is less expensive.
    The Gravely has the option of the EFI Kohler engine and the Kawasaki twin. The Scag just comes with the Kawasaki engine.

I'd appreciate any advise or comments about these mowers. Any comparisons would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Both are amazing machines and you would be happy with either. I have run Scag for 15 years but am now replacing all my equipment with Gravelys. I have been so impressed with Gravely after bleeding orange for so many years. Gravely has the best customer support hands down. I spent about 3 months demoing machines last fall and this spring from almost all the manufacturers.
  3. TMAC669

TMAC669 LawnSite Member
    from N/A

I own a 148z and a Scag Tiger Cat. The Gravely is commercial grade and will get the job done but the Scag is on another level in my opinion. I do a lot of double cutting with the Gravely. With the Scag I don't have that issue.
  4. OnaLawn

OnaLawn LawnSite Member

If Scag was a drink, I would drink it all day!! Love Scag equipment!

DFREAMGREEN LawnSite Member

bought a scag ten years ago, I have put it throw all kinda of hell in 10 years and it still runs like a champ
  6. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

The stripes in my signature are from a Scag. They're built like tanks too.

Why not go for a V-Ride?
  7. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I love my gravely...just wish dealer was closer....buying another.one this year
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Set Apart Lawn Care

Set Apart Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I love gravely, but im sure both will do great as has been said. That being the case, buy the mower from the dealer that give the best service.
  9. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Good service is pretty invaluable. 9 out of 10 dealers around here treat you like dirt.
  10. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Yep! Only local dealer we have is exmark.. I went.in once looking for a belt (was in a bind) just looking.to match lengths up to work temp.. they knew I ran gravelys... they treated me so bad I walked out.and.swore to them ill never do buisness with them nor buy any ewuipement from them... dealers r worth everything! I literally thought about becoming one... maybe one day
    Posted via Mobile Device