Scag or Hustler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Volkilmer, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Volkilmer

Volkilmer LawnSite Member

Trying to decide between a 61 scag turf tiger or a 61 Hustler super z. Can someone give me some advice. Sam engine the scag is $400 more.

Thanx in advance

2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

both great mowers but my pick is SCAG!!

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Hustler has a round left trimming side that lets you mount the Flex-Deck without cutting the main deck - and the Flex-Deck will increase the productivity about 50% therefore I vote for the Hustler.
    [​IMG]

hustler 48 wb-rear view - floating deck.jpg

4. baddboygeorge

i would not make my decision on a mower just because it can accomodate a flex-deck, sorry . personally i think flex-deck is an overrated product!!

5. Flex-Deck

baddboygeorge - have you ever seen, owned, or run a Flex-Deck?

6. baddboygeorge

i have seen the contraption an tried it out . like i said very overrated product !

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

The Hustler is $400 cheaper and.... from my experience is better on hills... It is a billy goat. It is also 1.5 times faster then the Tiger, and from my experience it cuts cleaner and discharges better then a Tiger. Servicing of the machine seems easier, and has a belt driven deck as opposed to a drive shaft driven on the Tiger. I lost a drive shaft once, and it cracked the frame in multiple places, and the nature of the drive shaft requires more energy to turn which in turn will cause more bogging down in heavy grass. If you are not dealer loyal, and the Hustler dealer seems like a guy that will take care of you.... I know what I would do! :)

Jay

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Before this becomes a pissin' match over a TOTALLY off topic matter...

The Hustler is a great machine. Extremely well built and heavy duty. Plus, Hustler is a sponsor here and has a forum for your questions, should any arise.

As always, demo both mowers on your properties and see which is for you.

9. Flex-Deck

You tried it in a 20' x 25' area - right - at the Louisville show - no real mowing - right - tried it on a 52 eXmark WB - right?

10. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a local dealer...try a new Great Dane Chriot...

They are awesome!!!

(Just bought one myself for $7,399!! 61" 25HP)