scag or hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BMORRIS106, Jan 29, 2005.

1. BMORRIS106

BMORRIS106 LawnSite Member

Just trying to decide between the super z 52 or the scag tiger cub 52, looking for tough mower with a good bagger, and dont want the 3 bag system.would appreciate any comments, thanks
  2. zamboni

zamboni LawnSite Member

We have both up here in Mass. I looked into all the ZTR mowers and I purchased a Walker. It is a superior machine for bagging and ease of operation. In Mass. everyone wants their properties bagged, so it was a no brainer once I demoed it. Also going 15 mph wasn't important, thus I chose the Walker. Anyway, back to your dilema. Are you a solo operator? If so, you may not need a Hustler. They are built like damn tanks. A bit of overkill to me.( Z with a dumper) I mean it was huge. Don't get me wrong, I wish I had 10 of them, but they are enormous. I'm not bad mouthing the machine at all. If you have people working for you on a different crew, then the hustler may help you sleep better at night. Scags are every here in Mass and they are probably the best bang for the buck. They also make a smaller version of their cub, inquire about that. Also, many dealers don't even know about their new models, I learn about them through this site.
  3. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

I was originally going to tell you to go with a scag over the Hustler until I saw the post above me. I completely agree about the Walker. Walker is the only way to go if you are going to bag. I sold Mine around thislast May and stuck completely with Scag, but only because we do not bag and the Walker is not a production machine for mulching. Do not get me wrong, I had a 62 inch sd deck and it would cruise along alright, about equal to a 44 inch toro rider maybe. It is by far a production machine bagging though. It has the best cut out of any mower out there I believe, and wish I still had one. Also the walker factory you can call direct and they will let you talk to anyone including chief engineers, so they really impressed me. Pricey, but well worth it if you are wanting to bag. Made me around 600-700% more profit in leaf season. Holler if you need any help.
  4. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

Also, I did not notice you are in Kansas. KS and CO are Walker heaven, so you could pick up a used one cheap. Also if you are still sold on the Z's, check out t6he new Scag Wildcat 52" with the 25hp air Kaw. It is a cub with 6 inch caster wheels, bigger 25 hp kaw, and is low weight. I like it the best out of any 52 I have seen. Reasonable price tag for a nice machine
  5. BMORRIS106

BMORRIS106 LawnSite Member

thanks for all you comments and I will go look at some walkers and that scag wildcat. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP
  6. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Zamboni must not of understood the question,however I will stic to the point,.......Your question Scag or Hustler,,,,,....Hustler all the way with a Bac-Vac it might be built like a tank (his words) but,if you spend the bucks you want a mower that will be with you for a long haul../from what I see (and I own a SUPER Z with a Bac-Vac) they are built to last,and from what i see in the fram and deck they shoulld llast a lifetime,might have to put a engine,pumps etc. somewhere during that lifetime>>>>still cheaper than buying a new mower every few years, the TANK :waving: :cool2:
  7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'd go with a Super Z Hustler. Both machines are built very heavy and both would last a long time. I have never drove a Scag but I have drove and mowed with a Super Z. It was a very nice machine and it cut pretty good too. Around here the Hustler dealer is 10 times better than the Scag dealer. Hope that helps.
  8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Huster or Scag

There is no comparison in my opinion, and I have owned both.

Better Warrenty
    Built Stronger
    Easier to Maintain
    Better Cut
    Better on Hills

In everyway I have found it to be a superior unit to any Scag I have owned, and I have owned many.

Good luck
  9. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

We own the scags and really like their performance and value. I have also mowed with Hust. for an extended length of time. I like the controls waaaay better on the Hustler. They're more sensitive, forgiving & much smoother. Now..since you'll probably mow wet, possibly tall grass, I had troubles with the Hustler clumpping terribly. When I went to the Expo in Louisville 04, they said they have gotten that straightened out. This I can't verify since I've not run them since. I do respect them as a very serious machine. Awesome warranty.
    They just might be our next purchase.
  10. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two Scag Tiger Cubs and they are grate machines. If you want to compare the Hustler Super Z with a Scag you should look at the Scag Turf Tiger, it has more engine options, larger wheel motors and a wider wheel base for better hill side stability than the cubs.