Scag or JD Mid Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdjoe_97, Oct 11, 2000.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 LawnSite Member

I am looking at getting rid of my 00' 721D Grasshopper. I am looking at either going to Scag or JD Mid Z. Anyone had any feedback on Scag Diesels or JD Mid Z. I want to stay with the Diesels but need trailer space.

My requirments:

Diesel
    60" deck
    Zero turn
    Low maintenance.

I have had great luck with Deere and have a 455 and F935, but the 00' hopper is mine cuz I had a 99' that had a bad Kubota engine and Kubota couldn't figure it out!! So my dealer and Grasshopper made me a deal I couldn't refuse. Thanks for any help. Joe

2. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

As far as I know neither Scag or John Deere make a diesel model ztr. John Deere doesn't even manufacture their midmounts, they are made by husqvarna, even the deck is now made by husqvarna then shipped to john Deere to be painted. Between those two, go with the Scag. Exmark is now making a diesel midmount and Dixie Chopper makes a 26 and 50 hp diesel unit as well. Dixies are built like tanks. Thanks, Lynn

3. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

scag-it is built like a tank-but it is only a gas burner-diesel no avaliable

4. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you could do an aftermarket swap with diesel if you really wanted it.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i believe scag does offer a diesel model. the scag magnum. its a three wheeled rider. its pricey though

6. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

Wrong!! THe JD Mid cuts better than the SCag. Period. I have both. Get the bigger motor though. They are going to be made in the JD factory next year. I recommend the JD MID or even out Front over the scag. Scags cut great, but only in "ideal" conditions, where the JD always cuts good.