Scag or John Deere or Dixie Chopper???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tony1045, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Tony1045

Tony1045 LawnSite Member

Ok, here it is, I need some help/input. I'm thinking about buying my first Zero-Turn Rider. I'v looked at the Scag Tiger Cub, the John Deere 717A and the Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle D. The 48"-50" deck will suite my needs fine as will the 19-20 HP motors. Any input about your experiences with any of these mowers would be greatly appreciated. I'm leaning towards the Scag. Let me know, Thanks Tony:confused:

2. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at the tiger cub. Then went down the street and bought a John Deere 727A 23 KAW 54 INCH deckand i have been mowing with for about a month at this time up till now it has more than done well for me. Today i mowed 10 acers and kind of whished that i would have gotten a Dixie Chopper 28 hp 60 inch deck,the deere did fine but a little extra speed would have been nice.

So when i grow too more accounts i think i will get a bigger mower, also run a scag 36 W/B belt drive. buy what you like and can afford fro now if you do grow your business you can always use more equipment.:gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag, maybe you shoulda bought a 797. . .more power. . .dunno about the speed but if the engine was lagging on thick grass the horsepower would speed things up a bit. Personally, I run a 757 25hp/60" with a mulch kit and mine has plenty of power even on thick St. Augustine as long as the lawn has been maintained regularly.

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Of those three I would vote for the Deere. Of all makes Toro hands down. How is dealer support in your area. That plays a big part IMO.

5. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

the fastest mower on the planet is the way to go Dixie Chopper...I can mow almost 5 acres per hour wide open....when I go full time netx year, I'm getting another

6. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Buy the one you like best after you demo all of them.

I would vote for the Deere over any of them (including Toro) but that's just my opinion.

Demo, demo, demo.

7. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

he's right on the demo thing, you have to try as much as you can at like an expo. That's how I fell in love with the Dixie. I went there ready to buy a Ferris, or maybe a Scag....then I see how much faster the Dixie mows, and how much better the machine was to work on, plus a great bunch of reps from their company and I was hooked. Other than being overprices, the JD seemed good too.

8. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

My vote is Hustler super z.
    I bought a new one this year and finished in 1/2 the time over my 52 inch toro wb.
    Did'nt test the jd or scag (although I've owned a scag turf runer and a jd wb) but I did drive a toro and loved the hustler over it for its durability and its performance on hills.

Haven't been let down yet.
    Matt

9. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler does make a fine product. I demo'd a Super Z and loved it. You should check them out as well if you have a dealer close by.

10. Tony1045

Tony1045 LawnSite Member

Thanks to all of you from you input, it's greatly appreciated. I have a JD dealer delivering a 727A next week to Demo. I'm still working on the Scag and Dixie. I'm also considering an Exmark. I have found them to be a little more expensive, but hey, you get what you pay for. by the way, any thoughts on the 2004 JD single hydro pump set-up. The one I checked at the local dealer for sure had a single pump. Just wondering??? Thanks again, Tony :drinkup: