Scag or Kubota

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mikol87, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Mikol87

Mikol87 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I am looking to buy a new ZT mower this spring. I've narrowed it down to Scag and Kubota. Both look like excellent mowers and both have about the same financing options. I don't mow a ton of yards so I don't need a top of the line commercial mower. I am hoping to get a 54-60in deck in the $6,000-$8,000 range. Any help on who to go with would be great! Thanks!

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

you aint getting a kubota for that price,or a scag. scag is the highest price mower on the market

3. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

My Kubota ZG227 with a 54" deck costs me $7500 new. Excellent machine for the money. A Scag Tiger Cub costs more and you can't even compare the Scag to the Kubota.

4. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

Kubota had problems with their drive systems for a while.Scag makes the toughest deck around.they have done commercial mowers longer than anyone else.i am still running a Scag Hydro walkbehind that is a 1992 model.i am not the only one.a few other companies around here are still running the older ones as well.i know one guy here that runs a Kubota. Most companies here run Scag.i figure there is a good reason for that.i have lived in several different markets around the country and Scag is in all of them.there must be a reason.

5. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag is a good mower. We have used them as a loaner on a few occasions.
    Kubota did have tranny issues a while back but that has been resolved. I have 3 ZD-326's and they cut and run like a dream!
    They're not even close to the price range this thread is looking at, though....

6. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

The 54" gas kubota has a msrp of 9700.

7. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

bad boy mz series 2999

8. PetesLandscape&Supply

PetesLandscape&Supply LawnSite Member

our 60'' Kubota diesel will go places no other mower will go , but our gas 61''Scag will leave the nicest cut we have seen from any mower wet or dry ....pete

9. SchnabelLawnCare

SchnabelLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Can you elaborate?

10. PetesLandscape&Supply

PetesLandscape&Supply LawnSite Member

the kubota has great traction and is good on hills etc. but will leave some clumping in damp grass as the scag leaves no clumped grass and makes a more professional cut , we are in a rural area and do not bag any of our accounts .