Scag or Lesco

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by HGRAT1, Jan 25, 2004.

1. HGRAT1

HGRAT1 LawnSite Member
    from DFW

I am looking to buy a new 36" walk behind. The two I am looking at are a Lesco belt drive with a 13HP Kawasaki and a Scag belt drive with a 15HP Kawasaki. The Scag is $2600 out the door, The Lesco is $2100 out the door. Both dealers have excellent support shops. I like theme both but is the Scag worth the extra $500.

2. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER LawnSite Member

I DO ALL MY BUSINESS WITH ONE DEALER AND THATS LESCO....EVERYTHING I OWN IS LESCO OR EQUIPMENT THAT LESCO SALES...DO BUSINESS WITH ONE DEALER AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY IN THE LONG RUN....LESCO HAS BEEN GREAT FOR ME.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

You don't always want to do business strictly with one dealer if two are available. You always need a backup. Just like with me in landscaping supplies, I go through 5 different companies. It keeps your doors open. So perhaps go through one dealer for mowers, while the other for 2-cycle equipment.

I would personally get the SCAG just because it has an extra 2 hp for the 36" deck.

4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco all the way.

Check and make shire you aren't getting the 14hp or 15hp on the lesco.

5. yardsurfer

yardsurfer LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

I like Lesco although the scag I was used to using was old and warn down so its kind of an unfair call.

6. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

Tiedeman,

I've only been a member of lawnsite for about a month or so. In general it is a very good website to view different ideas and solutions. Every once in awhile I get so frustrated with this site b/c of a lot of b/s that goes on: ford vs. chevy vs. dodge; scag vs. lesco vs. john deere vs. toro, or no thought, broad, general questions like "How much should I charge for a residential lot?"

But as you filter through all of the crap someone always comes up with a good point or does a good job of playing devils advocate. And tiedeman, I think you made a very good point about having more than one supplier. After all, carpenters that I know go to different lumber yards for some of the same reasons. So why would it hurt in the lawn biz? Thanks for the post. Very interesting way of viewing it.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

much appreciated DJL

8. FineScapes

FineScapes LawnSite Member

SCAG STRIPES MUCH BETTER, in my experience scag takes the beating of commercial use much better. im an exmark man now.
    lesco is just a few steps down from a scag my buddy has our old scag its sitill running great it's been oh 7 seasons now WOW. I guarantee lesco will cause ya more trouble but thats my opinion its your choioce so um choose SCAG

9. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

I love BOTH Lesco for there chemicals and fertilizers and everything else they carry but I also love Exmark mowers especially there big riding mowers.