Scag or Snapper

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnCare_EMT, Sep 21, 2007.

1. LawnCare_EMT

LawnCare_EMT LawnSite Member

Howdy guys I am at the point of needing to buying a good used 48 inch walk behind and was wonder if any of you have had better luck with the SCAG 48 walk behind or the Snapper 48 walk behind. I have a local dealer who sells used equipment and is selling both for $1,500 each and he said he prefers the Snapper.
  2. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

try them both out and see whhich one you like
  3. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Is there any real reason anyone would only shop for a walk behind? I have both and found that the walk behind is not nearly as fast, takes a lot longer to adjust the mowing height, harder on the physical body, and harder to use on hills that you could use a rider on.
    What other differences are there other then price?
  4. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

If everything is equal, I would go with Scag.
  5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I own a Toro T2 and like it, but when I was looking I did take a look at the Snapper and liked the controls alot, I ended up going with Toro because I had a local dealer that had one in stock and the quality of the machine is second to none.
  6. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever looked at Kubota, it's a really solid machine, and has all the features that many don't. I have one and it's great. Go with a dealer that's close to your place and will help you out when you have problems. Questions, let me know
  7. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

+1 here

8. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

demo demo demo.
  9. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

I think the Scag will probably be a little tougher than the snapper. Scags are built from some of the thickest steel of any mower. I have a Scag 36 wb that is bombproof (there will always be a place for it on my trailer) and incredibly versatile. I am also in the process of buying a Scag 48 wb. so I guess I am biased.
  10. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I wish you were closer, I have a good 48WB Snapper for sale 919-625-7892