Scag or Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Denham Lawnboy, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Denham Lawnboy

Denham Lawnboy LawnSite Member

2. Denham Lawnboy

Right now I have a ToroZ 400 with a 48" deck and a 18 kohler and I just feel that it is underpowered and dont like the small tires becuase they rut.

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

what is the price diffrence?

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I would always lean towards the cut quality end of the scale.

But it's not like the Scag cuts like crap either, and it can cut in a wider variety of conditions(tall, wet etc) that might have the turbo force struggling.

Are you able to demo both of them?

5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

The velocity plus deck cuts very well. You also have to look at the horspower. Another thing to look at is resale value, you just cant beat Scag on resale value. Both good mowers cant go wrong with either but I choose the Scag.

6. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

I bought a Toro Z450 23hp/ 48" in the middle of this season. Very smooth ride and the cut is great. I run a mulch kit year round through wet grass & tall grass. Haven't had any issues to date. Speed matters if your are doing roadways and medians, but it won't be significant enough to notice for normal use. And if the cut on the Scag is not as good, wouldn't you have to double up or slow down to get it right anyway? That would take more time IMO. But, I have never owned orange, so my comparison wouldn't be educated. The Toro is a very nice machine this far for us.

7. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Have you priced a 500 series with a 52" deck. http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/zmaster/z560/74271.html

This will remove your speed worries with a Toro. Plus a 28HP with a 52" deck is pretty strong. They also have a 30HP model with a 52" deck. Man thats a lot of HP for a 52" deck.

I have a 19HP 48" and I feel it has plenty of power for that deck. I would think it would be stretching it on a 52" deck.

That 18HP they put on some of them I believe are single cylinder motors. I think thats the low end 400 series. When you step up to the 440 Pro and above you get the larger tires and so forth.

However, you can't go wrong with either of the two choices though. Both are great machines. You hardly find any negative feedback on either machines.

8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I would take cut over speed because in my area, most lawns are too rough to go full tilt. In my opinion, if cut is an issue with a mower, dont buy it.

9. Denham Lawnboy

Just got back from my dealership and they had a 2003 Scag with 2000 hours on it for 4500. It had a blown engine and they will be putting a brand new 26 or 27 HP Kawi on it. They will give me a one year warranty on the whole mower. It has a 52" deck. It looks like it is in pretty good shape for having so many hours. What do yall think?

10. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I will say this, i own a toro and have had 350+ or - trouble free hours. I have the 52" w/ the 27Hp Kohler and have never had a need for any more power. Its a hoss and the cut has absolutely never let me down!

As for scag they are built like tanks and I feel that there the closest thing to indestructable as you can get!