Scag or Toro??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smoothbore2004, Apr 15, 2008.

1. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Ok guys thought I would never have to ask this but i am going to buy a new 48" ZTR. I have ran scag for the past few years and love them both. However the price has jumped up considerably. The local scag dealer is also a Toro dealer and they are running a special on the Toro 400 series. They are offering it at $6000 with a 21 Kaw. The scag with a 19 Kaw is $7200. What do you guys think of the Toro line. is it comparable to the scag. Scag lovers I know that is a dump question but I need some feedback on these Toro before I decide to buy one. Give me some of the pros and cons to these machines. THanks guys.

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Def comparable maybe not that series tho. Try to get the turbo force deck. Toro is a great mower, I would venture to say even better than the scag line.

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Very good mowers. Scags are built a little tougher imo, but the cut of a turbo force deck is superior. You may have to go up to the 450 series to get it though.

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

You will. The $6000 400 series is very very stripped down. Pneumatic tires, no T-Force deck, no foot assist on the deck lift, ball bearing spindles, and an 8.5mph forward speed. The 450 series has semi-pneumatic tires, the T-Force, no foot assist, same slow speed and same spindles. I don't know why they're so much more than the regular 400 series, but that would be at least a little more comparable to the Tiger Cub.

The Cub's advantages:

More rugged frame (well, everything is more rugged really)
    Faster overall speed
    Much better warranty
    Tougher spindles
    Much tougher deck with nicer anti scalp rollers
    Foot assisted deck lift
    Velocity Plus is better at cutting overgrown lawns

5. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

"Simply the Best"---no slobbering required.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with a lot of the above. I do like my Scag (and Exmark) but Toro is a great machine. I wouldn't let $1,000 make my decision one way or the other, I would get the one I liked best. I think most Scag models are over built but the Toro is plenty strong enough. I think the deck is a matter of personal preference. Both are great decks. If I was going to get a Toro though I would spend the extra for the Turbo Force deck, no questions asked. The only thing wrong with Toro is lack of promotion compared to Exmark.

7. pedro

pedro LawnSite Member

I chose the tiger cub over the toro. My dealer sells both and I just liked the tiger. I ended up with the 23 vanguard with a 52 inch cut for 7200 including tax.