1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Owned Great Dane 1996

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by nosparkplugs, Jun 1, 2008.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Just read an article on the evolution, and current increase in popularity of the stand on rider, according to the article a Scag engineer came up with the design in 1996 sold them under the Great Dane name who offered the first stand on rider model in 1996, and we know the rest is history. The walkbehind is on it's way out, dangerous lots of workmens comp claims according to OSHA, high liability, more fatiguing, not as productive when compared to the Stand on rider. My Walkbehinds are taking up storage space have not used one in 2 years now. Might sell them(walkbehinds) for a Stander instead of a new midmount ZTR, just a thought.
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Your info. is a little off. A man named Dane Scag, owned Scag. He sold that company and later formed the company known as Great Dane. He developed a stand-up machine, but, infringed on patents held by Wright. Wright actually marketed the first true "Stander" type machine. Dane changed his design, and continued to build the modified Great Dane machines, until he sold the company to John Deere.
    J.D. sold the company to Auburn consolidated industries, who also started the Everide brand. They went bankrupt and Ariens has bought the Great Dane and Everide lines.
  3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Yep. That's the correct info.
  4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

The article left out the patent infringement,
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Thats why Walk behinds will be here forever
  6. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I would sell your walk-behinds and get a stander, lawns that I used my 44" Toro Proline hydro I finished 5-10 minutes quicker on my 34" Scorpion FX.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Where i am the stripe being straight and the ability to get under trees and bushes is golden. I think there's two standers in my area that i have seen.We demoed one 12 years ago.
  8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Dealer sold another Gravely 1934 Prostance today. And then uncrated another. We continue to sell the walkbehind also. Just got a contract with the school system to supply them and sulkies as needed when the POs come in. First 2 of them are being prepped for delivery and 2 more are on order. The standers and the WBs both have their places.