Scag Owners.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nozzleman, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I have a Scag 48'' fixed deck hydro and my question is where do you run your deck height. To be more specific, I can attach my deck to the frame using three different settings (holes). From the factory my mower was attached to the middle set of holes.Where are your mowers set to.

2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Pick it up one notch. Up to the top hole. Your blades will last longer, your lawns will look better. And last but not least, you will bottom out less frequently. Don't you just love it when going full speed, and you bottom out, coming to an immediate stop, almost going over the handlebars?
    Crawdad

3. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Run ours (48", 36" and 32") in the middle set of holes. Related to this position are the four blade bushings and their location. Ours have three between the spindle and the blade and the fourth on the top.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Highest position (bottom of the holes in the deck brackets, move it up) is the only way to go. It provides you with a higher cutting range (I doubt you will ever cut lower than it lets you in this range hopefully) and you will always have proper blade pitch, forward not backward, which provides a better cut and discharge.

5. GilbertJT

GilbertJT LawnSite Member

I have a 48" that I run in the middle holes. In the spring/fall I run two bushings between the spindle and blade and two bushings on top of the spindle and during the summer I run one bushing between the spindle and blade and 3 on top of the spindle. I have had good success with these set ups. I run only single gators. I get a great cut and excellent stripes. Hope this helps.:blob3:

6. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

when we had a fixed deck scag we put the deck on the top hole.Like to cut at 3 to 31/4 inchs and with the fixed to get a good blade pitch that that height it needs to be set on the top hole .

7. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

Thanks fellows, I may move the deck up to the top hole and see how it works out.