1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Pro Mulch Kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bettern'goats, Jul 18, 2002.

1. bettern'goats

bettern'goats LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyone has a scag turf tiger with the mulch master kit. I bought one yesterday and would like to know your opinions concerning how it mows different types of grasses, ideal grass cut height, and so on and so forth. Any help is greatly appreciated. Mike Newsom
  2. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

Dont have a tiger scag, but I just purchased the SCAG CUB 52"

today and there going to deliver am tomorrow. :blob1:
  3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I hear they suck for the wb's cause then the blades don't fit and they scrape the individual breakoff circles. Don't know about the Tiger though. I'm still looking into buying a rider in the future.
  4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think they would make them special for each type of model, such as riders or walkers. The mulch kit is awesome! I don't know about the Turf Tiger but on my 48" Tiger Cub it works right nice. The only thing I don't like chopping up with it is bahia. That stuff shreds just like curly hair. :rolleyes: Works great in bermuda and centipede, though. Thick stuff is no problem.
  5. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Our dealer and us modified to mulching kits for our Saber Tooth Tigers. We had some problems with the skirting flexing in and hitting the blade. Do a search for improved Scag mulch plates. Pictures of the modification are in the mechanic forum. Four plates were modified, with one being sent back to Scag. On the original plates installed an extra bolt was installed at the rear part of the discharge plate to help hold it in place.
  6. Oliver1850

Oliver1850 LawnSite Member

I have the mulchmaster kit on my 2002 Tiger Cub. Never had a problem with blades touching the baffling. The mulching kit is great in the middle of summer into the fall. I reccomend side discharge in the early Spring, or cut more often.

I cut at 3" in the Spring, though I sometimes have to make a first pass at 3 3/4". Once you start to get in the 2.5 range, there is too much clippings for the kit to handle.

I am cutting at 2.5 now and go as fast as I want. The wet, thick, Spring turf takes more patience.

I have also learned that raising the custom cut baffle really helps in the Spring by allowing more air into the deck. This time of year I have the baffle at the 4" setting which does a great job of eliminating front blowout.

I hope this helps.