Scag Pro-v or buy Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by B&Clawncare, Dec 13, 2013.

1. B&Clawncare

B&Clawncare LawnSite Member

I have been in business for about 4 years now, I have mainly used scags and currently have their traditional 36" walk behind and a 52" pro-v.

I have been looking for something to replace the 52" pro-v. Yes, the controls are a bit weird but they operate well even after 1000 hours. The ONE thing that bugs the heck out of me is that it does not have anti-scalping wheels.

I have found a 60" Exmark walk behind with a 20Hp Kohler, velkex2, 1000 hrs. and a bagger. It looks like a pretty good deal for $2900

QUESTION: I have never owned a 60" deck. Does it feel that much bigger at only 8" wider? Scalping issues? I have mowed a decent amount with a 52" exmark walk behind and absolutely love it.

Thanks again everyone.

2. PabsMaster

PabsMaster LawnSite Member

If it's flat you should have no trouble scalping... I prefer scag, it can cut wet grass better than another mower out there.. I have a 36 and a 48. There is nothing like a velocity plus deck, in my opinion. Exmarks are just not worth it to me... I would stay with the pro v... Until it dies...

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

IDK Turf Tracers also do very well. And the ECS controls once you get onto them are totally non fatiguing.

4. PabsMaster

PabsMaster LawnSite Member

Down here around in the hill country it's all scag... The grass down here is mostly wild, and exmark decks do better for manicured lawns.... Scag does good to, but exmark is pretty darn good at maniquired lawns. The scag does best in rough cut situations. If you have a lot of nice lawns, then go for it... Scag just works better for me down here....

Pabs

5. B&Clawncare

I really want to know how much worse a 60" deck will scalp compared to a 52" walk behind.

My velocity deck doesn't have any anti-scalp wheels. The exmark obviously has a lot. Thoughts?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. brunnersltd1

brunnersltd1 LawnSite Member

no , the turf tracers have plenty of anti scalping wheels.... four in the front and 2 in the back, my turf tracers scalp less then my toro grandstands

7. B&Clawncare

Thats what I was thinking. Exmark does a really great job with anti scalping wheels.

$2900, 1000 hours, 60" deck, Velke and bagger. Should I do it?

8. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't. A 60
    ' deck is a jump when mowing. You will notice a difference for sure but you should also know how to maneuver your mower by now to accommodate the terrain, anti scalp wheels don't do the work for ya. Stick with scag... Much better machine for everything!

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not super familiar with ExMark's full lineup, but does this mower have an Ultracut or Triton deck? Big difference b/tw the two depending upon regional grasses and QOC.

10. B&Clawncare

It has the Ultra Cut deck on it. We cut mostly KBG.

So, if I don't get the Exmark I would like to explore putting anit-scalping wheels on my velocity deck. I would guess the only thing I could do is weld them on.
    Has anyone done this?