Scag Pro-v or buy Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by B&Clawncare, Dec 13, 2013.

1. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

2. B&Clawncare

B&Clawncare LawnSite Member

Most of my lawns are fairly nice. I have probably mowed with a 52" TT for 25 hours total and have noticed how sturdy (no scalping) and such. It cuts great on my lawns.

The scag pro-v. Controls are not ideal. First off, I am 6' 3" so when im at full speed (handle bars move down to go forward) plus me being on a velke I can barely reach. This mower would be awesome with anti-scalp wheels and just pistol grips. It is a 52" with a 23 HP kaw so it has plenty of power.

3. B&Clawncare

Anyone have any input on putting anti-scalp wheels on a deck?

4. PabsMaster

PabsMaster LawnSite Member

Welding is usually the only way.. At least from my knowledge.. As for now the new scags now have the option of adding the far left and right anti scalp wheels... Wish they did that awhile ago...

I would find a welder, and have him draw up a plan for you.... I would order the wheel parts off a 61 velocity deck, and have him weld it on...

5. B&Clawncare

I am a fairly decent welder. So I think I should be able to weld them on myself.
    But I will have to sand part of the deck. Is paint for these mowers easy to get/find?

It is a 52" deck. Did you mean that or did you mean get it for the bigger deck?

6. PabsMaster

Yep thats whatbi ment... I figured you could weld but i did not know :) ...

I use to have the paint # for scags but i cant find it at the moment... I will let yoy know shortly...

Pablo
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  7. PabsMaster

Here they are you would want to use the second number (models 1989 and newer)..

P/N 48008 or P/N 48521

You ushally have to get this through a dealer...

Pabs
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Late reading this thread. Went from a 52" to a 60" deck with no issues. There can be a little scalping on steep side hills. Other than that you should be fine. Don't know about Scag but Exmark sells anti-scalp kits that are bolt on.

ericg likes this.
  9. B&Clawncare

This is what I was looking for. I really like the controls on the Exmarks. Anyone looking to buy my Scag? :usflag: