Scag problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mangojoe, Nov 6, 2007.

1. mangojoe

mangojoe LawnSite Member

I have an old Scag ztr (16) I am having a problem when I make a right turn, it slows down a little. Turning left has no problem. Could this be a problem with one of my hydro pumps or a wheel motor. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Easy things first is checking tire air pressure then the hydro belt tension, A loose/worn belt could cause one pump to drive harder than the other.

Next, Check all hose connections for tightness one could be sucking air but not cause oil to leak. Make sure both dump (release) valves are fully closed, Check all linkages and pivot arms on the pumps for any wear that could cause less travel on one side.

When was the hydro oil and filter changed last ?
    Also, A wild guess as to how many hours on this unit ?

3. mangojoe

mangojoe LawnSite Member

thanks restrorob, I checked all those items and it is still very sluggish. I changed the oil about 3 weeks ago. Also the hr meter stopped working at 3800

4. Restrorob

Was it sluggish before you changed the oil ?

5. mangojoe

mangojoe LawnSite Member

It is the same as before. Nothing has changed

6. Restrorob

Hmmm......I don't know of any more checks other than taking it to a shop that has the proper equipment to test the hydro pump pressure, Having this done will tell if the problem is the pump or the wheel motor.

7. mangojoe

mangojoe LawnSite Member

thanks a lot