Scag problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SBL99, May 25, 2009.

1. SBL99

SBL99 LawnSite Member

I have a scag freedom z with a 19 hp kawasaki engine, used only for my personal residence. After about 30 minutes of use, the engine wants to cut off. I thought it was trash in the fuel line, but I've eliminated that as an option. Any ideas where to look next? It does fine until about 30-40 minutes of use.
  2. AthensHardware

AthensHardware LawnSite Member

Most common problems I run into are:

1) trash in carb bowl
    2) bad coil

Does it sputter and die, or just die? How long does it take to restart?
  3. SBL99

SBL99 LawnSite Member

It sputters and then dies. It will usually crank back up, but then will begin sputtering soon after. ran the thing yesterday and 3/4 throttle and at times left the choke slightly out. It still did the same thing but at least allowed me to finish cutting.
  4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

It doesn't seem to be a coil problem unless both coils are failing simultaneously. The fact that it will run on partial choke is a relatively sure sign, to me anyway, of a carb blockage. Others will disagree, but I would pull the carb and clean all ports. That includes removal of the emulsion tube that goes up through the barrel of the carb. Make sure you have a proper sized screw driver to aid in removal as the tube is brass.