Scag purchase - HP for deck size?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by onelegjohn, Apr 14, 2004.

1. onelegjohn

onelegjohn LawnSite Member

I am seriously considering a Scag Tiger Cub for myself. I love the quality of the hydro walk behinds. Here are the prices my dealer are offering. A 48" Cub with a 20HP Kohler Command for $6200 OR a 52" Cub with a 23HP Kawisaki for $7200 (24HP Honda for $7500 ). Any feedback on these prices? What are prices near you guys - I am north of Pittsburgh. Is that enough HP for the respective Deck sizes? How do these stripe? I going to ask the guys who know. Dealer is reputable. I am in awe of these machines comared to my WB's. Tires are huge!!
  2. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Dealer cost for a 48" 20hp Kohler is $5395,( the 19hp Kawa was the same price) I just bought one and though i have nothing to compare it to, I would say it's plenty.
    Stripes? could care less, lawn cuts looks great.

Most will say get the most HP that you can afford.

purchased mine in TN
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

prices I think are high.............. Can't beat the way a cub cuts though:)
  4. johnbast3

johnbast3 LawnSite Member

I just bought a cub with a 24 honda for 7200..I've got 10 hours on it doing cleanups with the clamshell bagger-works awesome..
  5. onelegjohn

How far are these dealerships willing to negotiate? This is not a big volume dealer. They only have 4 riders on the floor. I wonder if smaller dealerships pay the same for machines as larger dealerships....??
  6. bugspit

I doubt the factory would charge more for different dealers, my dealer didn't have any on the floor. Actually he sells more large tractors and doesn't have a show room. He had maybe 5 new tractors on his lot.
    Cash does wonders too.
  7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys all complain when your customers try to get the lowest price for your services, but everybody on this site wants the dealers to give their products to you for cost. Pay his price quoted or find a (scrub) dealer.
  8. onelegjohn

I agree with you to an extent. Anything is negotiable. Even services to an extent. Sometimes I think people quote high on lawncare as well. I will probably pay the man - with maybe a little negotiating. It still bugs me that some people pay less than I do in other parts of the country... almost %20 less. You have to understand that frustration. I like the quote Bugspit.
  9. onelegjohn

Ok - %15 less...
  10. bugspit

It's competion and I don't complain, the best job done will come out ahead.
    I don't care if you pay retail but I'm going to shop for the best deal, pay cash and be done with it.
    When service time comes, if I can't do it myself I'm sure there are plenty of mechanics out there that can help or cut me a deal at his service center.
    I'm tight, wealthy and proud of it.