Scag Quality - Dropping!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by onelegjohn, Apr 11, 2004.

1. onelegjohn

onelegjohn LawnSite Member

I love the 90's hydro units. I have had quite a few of them. But I have heard many people say if you are used to the quality of the older machines - you will be dissapointed with the new ones. I am a big Scag fan. I was crushed when I heard this. Is it true? Are the decks not as well built? Were the changes made to the machines - not well thought out? I used these machines to get through college. They were awsome!! And easy to work on. I want to buy a new rider for ME. Tell me it ain't so guys.....

2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob2: sorry bro, i was never a fan of scags, ive never seen a deck that didnt have a spider web of welds on it, ill never buy another. tony

3. onelegjohn

I noticed that too. But I thought all commercial machines would get stress cracks. Plus - I was buying old beat up machines....beggars can't be choosers...

4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i run bobcats, i have 2 61" hydor walk behinds and they are almost 8 seasons old and not one has been welded yet.

5. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 52 Turf Tiger about 2 years ago and am very satisfied. The mower has been reliable, and cuts beautifully. I will be in the market for another very shortly and would choose Scag again if their pricing was more competitive. I can get a 52 Gravely 252 for $7300.00, and the best I can do on a new turf tiger is $9100.00 with both mowers running the 27hp Kohler.

6. onelegjohn

I do like the old gravely's... From what I understand - Gravely offers the best value - more for your buck. You aren't buying the label....yet.

7. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

I have 2 Scag machines and have been completely satisifed with their construction.

8. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two Tiger Cubs 19hp/48 in's, and we are very satisfied with their cut and the quality of the units. One has 280hrs and other has 6hrs. Scag uses heavy duty components in there mowers, compare them to other mower manufactures. Go to Scag's website and look at the specifications.

9. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

It seems that around the time they made the Turf Runner the quality seemed to drop a bit. Maybe they just haven't kept up with all the industries advances. When I first tried there hydro in the early 90's I was blown away.

10. onelegjohn

From what I understand the industry advances are the problem. They aren't sticking to what got them their reputation. They are relying on new gadgets and "advances" to sell the orange paint at a higher price. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I like the simplicity of the 90's hydro's.... Great machines. Now the decks are different...nothing is the same. Why change a good formula. Jusy my opinion. But I am still thinking about a Tiger Cub.