SCAG question for newbie.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cjp55, Apr 8, 2003.

1. cjp55

cjp55 LawnSite Member

I am working on a old SCAG 52" SW-13KH belt drive walkbehind. This is my first commercial type mower and I am in the process of replacing old parts, etc. The question I have is I am trying to find the pieces that go over the three bolts that are exposed through the deck cover that fits over the belts. I am not sure what they are called or if I can even get them for this mower. I have seen them on some of the newer Scags.

From what I have seen on the web they look like little dials on top of the belt cover.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

2. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

are you refering to the nut and washers that hold the blade bolt on??

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

My older scag (1996) did not come with covers and the deck cover was flat all the way across and the bolts would protrude thru the top. My newer one (2000) has them, but they are over forms on the deck. I really so no reason you need them if it is the older style. Not to mention you would have nothing to put them on because they are like a lid on a cup and the older style deck covers have no lip.

4. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I belive your talking about the black plastic covers that the newer mowers have covering the blade bolts right. If so, I am not sure if the older mowers had them. I have a old scag 48'' and the blade bolts stick up through the cover and I don't see how it could of had caps since it is a different design than my new scag that has the caps.

5. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

Sorry to sound repetitious but Scraper beat me on the post.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Or are you referring to the hardware (knobs) that attach the belt cover to the deck? Ther are 4 of these.

Kinda like a plastic wingnut?

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Sounds like what he is talking about to me. Mine just has 3/8" nuts on it but I will get the wingnuts sometime for it.... Regular 3/8" wingnuts from a hardware store will work too but the plastic ones are what new ones have. I don't know if mine originally came with nuts or wingnuts, I got it used and it's a '92 or so. a 52-13KH thats 52" 13hp Kohler, that will be pretty underpowered... I have a SWZ-14KA that is 52" hydro with 14hp Kawasaki, it's ok for normal stuff but it will bog a bit in real high and thick stuff (like the yard I mowed yesterday that was a foot high in a few areas from dog doo-doo). Had to mow that part 3x to get it clean cut (was very wet and thick) and get the clumps chopped up. Think I will make a turbo baffle like thing for this mower.... or put a double high lift blade on the discharge spindle for reducing clumping... just small clumps but it's nasty when wet!

8. Scraper

On the 52" Scag there are only two of those on top along with one on each side and one in the front. My bet is I got what he was trying to get at, as there are three blade bolts on the 52". ;) Let's see. LOL

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Both are available at your SCAG dealer for not all that much money.

scag.jpg

10. Scraper

Man Tommy..you are so handy with that photshop. ;) Actually, if he has the older style deck cover, he cannot use the blade bolt caps as the deck does not have the stamped lip to put them on.