Scag sabre tooth vs turf tiger...anybody have these?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazycritterguy, Jul 13, 2004.

1. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

I've decided to get a scag to mow my 12.5 acres. After buying the wife some jewelry, she said for me to pick the one I think will last the longest...yep...she's great! However, does anyone have any experience with the 31 HP Briggs-Daihatsu engines on the sabre tooth??? Should I go with the diesel or gas. If I go with the turf tiger, which engine do you recommend...there are 4 different ones listed. The land is 90% gentle slope. Whichever one I get will have the 61" deck...Advice?

2. millerlc

millerlc LawnSite Member

I don't know much about the Sabre Tooth. But I have a wealth on the Turf Tiger.
    I just purchased a Turf Tiger 61" 29HP Liquid Cooled DFI Kawasaki.
    Wow, what a machine. No Choke! Starts just like a car.
    It has plenty of power. The motor on it is second to none.
    It burns 1.6 Gallons Per Hour at FULL load.
    The motors for the sabre tooth consume more gas or diesal.
    The Turf Tiger has the same frame as the Sabre Tooth. Both are built like tanks.
    The Sabre Tooth only has a bigger pump, wheel motor, and clutch.
    It all depends how much money you want to spend and what size deck you want.
    Both are awesome machines

3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I got the tiger also when you sabre let me know how she kicks.Haven't heard tooo much about it.

4. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Tigers and they are great. I have demoed a Sabre Gas 72" and all I can say is that thing has some serious POWER!. The pumps on the Sabre are also awesome. If weight and money is not a concern then get the Sabre or the 29 DFI Tiger is just as awesome.

5. jaguar4000

jaguar4000 LawnSite Member

you can't gp wrong w/ a scag. know they are quality machines. I would do some research before you bought the daihatsu diesel. May be great engine, I just don't know. I can tell you that I think the local dealer here told me the scag w/ that engine is around 15k. You might want to compare it to the Kubota ztr before buying diesel. Also hustler is supposed to be coming out w/ a cat diesel real soon that is supposed to be well priced, but yet to be seen. Have a 23 mitsubish diesel w/ 1800 hrs on a ransomes w/ 60 deck. Runs as strong as it did new 14 yrs ago!! Lov it- but gas might suit your needs as well. Good luck!

6. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

If it were me I would go with the 29dfi on the TT or the diesel on the sabre. If you are only mowing the 12 acres a week both machines will last you a very long time. I would buy a tiger and take the extra money and buy the wife more stuff. Then you might be able to talk her into a corvette...

7. shortgut

shortgut LawnSite Member

I have a 72" saber tooth tiger with the 31 hp dahatsu a real kick butt mow shine i have about 1250 hrs on this one and no serious problems yet. It just loves gas if you are into thick grass figure about a gallon a hr am wanting to get another one but with the diesel this time farm diesel is cheaper no tax plus more tourque I ask my scag area rep the other day about the turf tiger witht he 29 hp he knows what I do with my mower and said that he would not recomend the turf tiger to me because of what I normally cut my way of thinking is more horses than you need is a lot better han wishing you had them . Hope this helps tony J

8. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

my wife and i have the sabre tooth tiger with 31 dahatsu no problems it mows a lot of grass.