Scag Slow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NNJLandman, Sep 16, 2003.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a used SCAG 36. Cuts and runs great, starts on the first pull (as long as I remember to turn the key) but the left tire isn't turning as fast as the right side. The left side has a leak but i just filled it up with air and im still able to run it for a long time before it goes flat again but like I said it doesn't move as fast. Any idea what my problem might be?

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try the engine RPM'S
    John

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Assuming this is a belt drive mower...

Are the drive belts in good shape?

Is the left side control handle adjusted the same as the right side?

Is there dirt/grass clogging the pulleys?

Is the left hand drive shaft coming out of the transmission turning at the same speed as the right hand drive shaft? If not, you may need a new transmission.

Hope this helps.

4. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem with a toro i once had. The key in the left side pulley had sheared, and would spin about a quarter turn out of time with the right pulley. So of course, it would pull to the left.
    The pulley was still tight, and would still run the wheel, because the key had not sheared off clean. It would just slip a little each revolution.
    I did point a 30-06 at said mower after about two hours of racking my brain,...........but self control got the better of me.:dizzy:

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I second TVOV......

Check those belts and the adjustments on them... May be that simple....

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

NNJLandman,

Fix your leaky tire.

Inflate both tires (they are the same size AND Brand, right?) equally. Measure with a sewing ruler tape around the circumference. Make sure they are close to the same.

7. KDLAWN

KDLAWN LawnSite Member

yeah...I have a 36" scag walk behind belt driven and it was always pulling to the left. thought it was the belt neeing tightened... put air in the left tire rides straight now...

8. my 48" scag pulled to the right when i demoed it, dealer adjusted it and now it pulls to the left. I live with it.......its easier that way.