1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

SCAG Spindle Bearing Question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by heybruck34, Jan 4, 2002.

1. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

I recently rebuilt all 3 spindles on my Scag 48" WalkBehind. After completely re-assembling the units (I rebuilt them one at a time to make sure I did it correctly) I found that some of the bearings could SPIN inside the spindle housing. They didn't sping at the same rate as the shaft but they could still wiggle back and forth and spin.

Is this normal? Hopefully some other people have rebuilt Scag spindles and might have had this problem....

Thanks for the help ya'll !!!!
  2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

This is not normal for any spindle housing. If the bearing spins in the housing it will eventually wear out the housing. If the bearings are just a little loose with no side play, then some Loctite should take care of your problem. You will want to use the green Loctite which is bearing retainer. Just remember when you rebuild them next time to use heat to break the Loctite loose first.