scag spindle dissasembly help needed!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by msportbiker6666, Oct 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. msportbiker6666

msportbiker6666 LawnSite Member

at this point, by looking at scag parts breakdown, i understand nut needs to come off, but how? i have a 3/4 air gun ready, but cant fit any sockets
    any ideas? thanks

2. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

What nut are you talking about? The one that holds the blade on ?

3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Might help to have the right size socket.

4. msportbiker6666

whoops! the nut in question is the 1 1/2 in nut on btm of the spindle shaft.

IMG_20131003_234729.jpg

5. msportbiker6666

is their a special thin wall socket. my non impact 3/4 & 1/2 snapper's will not fit.

6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Don't you just love engineers. What I have done in the past is use a chisel or punch and start hitting on it in the direction I want it to go. Just lock down the shaft in a vise and remember Lefty Loosey .

Other wise fine a truck parts dealer and see if he has a Bud Truck Wheel Bearing Locknut Socket in the size you need.

ericg likes this.
  7. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Are you trying to replace the bearings ? Probably cheaper then just buying a new spindle

8. msportbiker6666

3 pack (not o.e.) on ebay is around 200 shipped. i got bearings, races, dust covers( 3 sets) from a local big box store for around 50.00. scag uses the same bearing size a common lanscape trailer. i thought id save the money & catch up on my backlog of motogp races on the dvr. the T.V.M. principle left when the ex left!:headphones::headphones::cool2:

9. msportbiker6666

thanks breezmister. i was thinking the same thing. i have always hated this 'last resort' technique because of the lack of torque upon reassembly. maybe ill try to weld a socket to it then wiz it off when im finished.

10. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

If you are planning to do more of these rebuilds, it might be better to get a Bud Socket and save yourself the aggravation.

ericg likes this.