Scag spindle grease fitting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Longstar, May 3, 2004.

1. Longstar

Longstar LawnSite Member

I have an older scag 36" WB. It has grease fittings on the spindle that are smooth on the outside. I can't get a wrench around it because there are no grooves to catch.
    It has other grease fittings like on the front caster wheels that I can get a wrench around and loosen up.
    Has anyone had to deal with these and know how to remove the fittings to grease the spindle?

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

If there are no wrench flats on the fittings, then they are press in fittings. The fittings have lil barbs on them and they are pressed into the hole in the spindle. to remove them, you have two choices. Grab em with a pair of GOOD vise grips and hit the vise grips witha hammer up wards or drill em out and then drill and tap a new hole for a screw in fitting.

3. Longstar

Longstar LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice! I'll try that.

4. ajwgator

ajwgator LawnSite Member

I believe those fittings that don't have wrench flats on them are the grease relief fittings. They are not for putting grease in but letting out the excess one might put in the other fitting. This prevents you from forcing your grease seals out with too much grease. FYI