Scag spindles in a Wright deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scott.Oz, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Scott.Oz

Scott.Oz LawnSite Member

G'Day, has anyone put scag spindles in a wright deck? Im wanting to do it to my wright 60" z, as the standard ones are stuffed.
    Any thoughts?

2. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Scag rep is also the wright rep and recommends doing this because scag are greaseable, and Wrights are not. Holes should line up correctly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Scott.Oz

Scott.Oz LawnSite Member

Awesome. Thanks for your help, Im guessing to change them all at once to keep blade height the same?

4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Absolutely it can be done. I have done it multiple times with great success.

However, there are a few things that you need to be aware of. First, the bolt holes on the new spindles are just a tad bit small. Just drill them out and you will be fine.

Second, the center shaft on the new Skag spindles are a larger diameter than the old Wright spindles. This means that the old collars won't fit and she will have to buy Scag callers to go along with the Skag spindles. The pulleys will be fine though.

Last, make sure that you give it a lots and lots of grease the first time. It takes 50 shots of grease or so in order to make it come out of the release valve. Do those things and it will work out great. I am about to go and do one this morning.
    Posted via Mobile Device