1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag SSZ oil cooler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SssmilenJoe, Oct 1, 2004.

1. SssmilenJoe

SssmilenJoe LawnSite Member

I am replacing an engine on a scag from a kohler cv18s to a cv22s. Most everything is bolting up nicely, except the shaft size is 1/8 larger on the new engine, I am hoping I can find a local machinest to enlarge the inside diameter of the pulleys for me. My problem is the engine I bought is designed to have an oil filter right up against the block, while the one on the mower has an oil cooler and the oil filter is bolted behind the gas tank. The new engine doesn't have a place to bolt the oil cooler to itself and there in not much space now for it. How important is the oil cooler anyway. Can I just run two lines from the engine to the old oil filter and take out the cooler without causing the engine any problems later?
  2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

You should be able to get a remote filter manifold for the engine. It would be wise to keep the oil cooler if possible. A cooler running engine will last longer.
  3. SssmilenJoe

SssmilenJoe LawnSite Member

Thanks, I'll do that. Since I don't have much room in the approximat spot of the old oil cooler, the only idea I have is to bolt a new one to the mower frame.