Scag SSZ pulling to the left

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dedgrass, Mar 7, 2003.

1. dedgrass

dedgrass LawnSite Member

My Scag SSZ 61 is pulling to the left quite a bit. I have done some adjusting of the linkage and the adjustment range has just about bottomed out. I don't think that the hydro pump is weak, but not sure how to check. Any help out there? Sure appreciate it.
    BTW- this is a GREAT site! I look and listen all the time. Great interaction and advice.
    Dedgrass:confused: :cool:
  2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your tire pressure.

3. dedgrass

dedgrass LawnSite Member

Hey jim-
    Tire pressure is fine. Push both steering levers full forward and she wants to go to the left- and quite a bit, at that.
    Reverse is the same, but not so bad.
    Ded:confused: :blob3:
  4. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

Have you check to see if both by-pass valves are fully closed. This happend to me on a new mower once. I messed with it for a week or two trying to get it to track straight, all it took was 1/8th of a turn and BINGO!

5. Jimbo

If its not tires i would check the bypass valves next. Mine did the same thing when new and it was the valves. The tires are more common so I posted that first.

If its not the valves it could be a restriction in a line/ fitting or bad/ worn pump.

6. dedgrass

dedgrass LawnSite Member

tell me more about the bypass valves. what do they look like, are they mounted as a part of the hydro unit?clockwise to close?
    Ded:blob3: :confused: :blob4:
  7. Jimbo

Mine are mounted under the seat. You will see hydro hoses running into and out of them. Follow the hydro lines and see if you see any large valve bodies.
    Mine has a rod that sticks out and a bolt that runs through the rod. I am trying to remember which way it turns but I have confused myself to the point I cant remember.

If nobody else responds I will check my manual and let you know. If you turn it the one direction is allows the pressure to be removed so that you can push the mower around in the garage etc.

8. hoffmanlandscaping

hoffmanlandscaping LawnSite Member

I had the same problem on my scar turf tiger. The bypass valve was opened. Mine sents right on top of the pump. The valve looks like a 2 in. screw running hortizontally on top of the pump should be able to open or close similar to a ball valve.
  9. dedgrass

dedgrass LawnSite Member

I than you all for the tips! After work tonight, I'll check it out!

Ded:blob4: :) :blob3:

COLLINSVILLE LawnSite Member
    from CT

Replace your pump belt. When the belt gets worn or loose the machine will pull to the left.