Scag SSZ

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, Sep 30, 2002.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

Two questions:

1. Has anyone of you guys ever used the retrofit "Turbo-Baffle" kit Scag offers for their deck?

2. Is there a way to get more ground speed out of an SSZ?

2. cnflawn

cnflawn LawnSite Member
    from tn

the turbo baffle kit helps with clumping of thick wet grass. it does a good job of breaking them up. there is no way to speed a ssz p. make sure engine is at 3600 rpm and the hydro belt is not slipping

jerald

3. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

well there is a way to make them go faster but it will void any warrenty. CHanegt eh pully size on the bottem of the hydro pumps. I had a buddy that did this cause he used a sitting sulky. I tried walking behind it at full speed and almost feel down tryin to keep up.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The SSZ has a hydro system different from any of the Z's out there today.
    It is hard to speed up due to the gear reduction system those hydro gear transaxles use.
    I am sure it is possible with some open thinking ;)

Later
    Pj

5. Buzz_2004

Buzz_2004 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

This is just a ? to ask how you like your scag and how it is holding up. We owned 2 Scags both at different times. With each one we had multiple problems towards the end of the year. It seemed to us that they just wouldn't hold up for a commercial cutter. What are your thinkings on this.

We now own 2 Dixie Choppers and are completely satisfied! :D

6. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

It's been ok. I had cut and clumping problems, but PJ suggested Bobcat offset blades, and that pretty much took care of the problem. For each of the past 3 years, I have put $300-500 into it for miscellaneous repairs... Nothing real major, mostly hydraulic problems.

Before this mower, I had a Wright Stander, and had more problems with it (the frame cracked twice).

I've used it now for 4 seasons and put ~1200 hours on it.

7. Buzz_2004

Buzz_2004 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the input we also had lots of problems with the hydro's:blob3:

8. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Our two scags we have are trouble free. Have a 2001 Turf Tiger, and a 2002 Hydro WB both of them are 52inch cut. ONe has almost 400hrs on it now, no hydro problems or cutting problems, Striping at times can be crappy, but over all cuts everything i want cut, even wet grass, though the advantage deck seems to hold the clumps up under the deck and then when it shoots them out it will clump up, this is on the Turf Tiger with the turbo baffle, the WB is advantage though there is no Turbo Baffle. Doesnt throw the grass as far but cuts great.
    Matt

9. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 99 Scag STHM the turbo baffle put it on, also left baffle

from Husq 60 rider, If wet cuts better at 1/2 throttle. about $50.

Looks almost like advantage deck. Ed