1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag SSZ

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wpines, Mar 16, 2004.

1. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

What would a homeowner used '98 Scag SSZ zero turn with 1100 hours, 61 inch deck, 20 hp kohler, factory leaf vac system, spare blades and belts. It was dealer serviced and it's in great shape.
  2. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

It's in Connecticut and the homeowner wants $4,500. What do you guys think?
  3. johnbast3

johnbast3 LawnSite Member

Way too many hours for a homeowner use.
  4. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

do you think the price is high? thats about 180 hours a year.
  5. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

If the guys lawn takes 3 hours to cut x 25 cuts per year that still only comes to 75 hours per year. Homeowner use only I doubt unless he has a huge lawn.
  6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

180 hours per year equals to 7.2 hours per week times 5 years at 25 mows per season. Highly unlikly.

7. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

So what should the price be with the leaf vac system?
  8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

To me, that is a primative rider. The bagger is way to heavy for the machine, and can cause premature cracking of the deck where that motor hangs off. It is relatively slow, and the cut does not appear great to me. It seems to me that it is fairly underpowered as well.

I would not give more then $2500 for the whole deal myself.

Maybe it would be a great machine for you, I am just not real impressed with that machine.

Good luck
  9. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Not sure if it's the same model, but a mechanic at my local dealer is selling his '97 Scag SuperZ(?) with 61" deck and 800 hours. The original 22.5 hp engine was replaced (after being run with low oil - that's how he got it from American Freight Lines) with a new 24 hp Kaw, along with the PTO clutch and all belts. He's asking $2800. Does that sound right to anyone familiar with this Scag? I hope to check it out this weekend (primarily to be used on 1-2 acres residential). Thanx...
  10. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

You can't always trust the hour meter. 800 hours seams a little low for a replacement PTO clutch etc.

Make sure you look over the condition of the mower very carefully, the replacement parts on z's are very expensive.

wpines - 20 hp on a 61 inch will be underpowered in my opinion. I would not pay 4500.