Scag Striping Roller, Anyone Using it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FatherandSon, Jun 6, 2004.

1. FatherandSon

FatherandSon LawnSite Member

We have 2 Turf Tigers, 52" and 61" and cannot get stripes. Considering buying the new striping roller from Scag. But at $300, would like to know if it works.

Have tried roller kits before, Big League, etc, but they bent and did not last.

Please let me know if anyone has had any luck with the Scag Striping kit.

Thanks

2. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I'd check the operator of the Turf Tiger before looking into a striper roller. JK, i never use to have a problem putting nice stripes in with my scags without a roller and now that i have my Ferris's its even easier.

3. md0077

md0077 LawnSite Member

I just purchase a 48" Tiger Cub to replace my 48" Exmark Metro. The Metro with a mulching kit striped excellent. I was very disappointed with the Scag striping.

After a couple of cuts using the Tiger Striper, I saw only a marginal improvement, but at least I saw stripes.

You are right, with the rollers they don't last very long.

Installation was simple and it looks to be very heavy duty. At $315, I expected more.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Just get some rubber strips 3/8" thick, 5" wide. (used truck mud flaps work the best) Drill and taps some holes into the back of the deck. Then get some 1.5" wide by 1/4" thick steel flat bar. Drill holes in the same location to the holes in the deck. Then place the rubber inbetween. I cut some slots into the rubber, to allow it to be adjustable for wear. Keep the rubber 1" above the ground. It works great.

5. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

Post some, pics post some pics, everybody loves pics.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Ok here is the first one I built. Its a protype. I got the second version on my other stander. Its even better. But If I showed you, I would have to kill you. But it will give you an idea.

resizedstrip.jpg

7. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Or maybe try this

superchainshitch.jpg

8. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

have you had any problems with those catching on anything?

Trevor

9. grasscutter122003

grasscutter122003 LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I have a 48" stc. I bought the kit, it does pretty good. The only problem is when I go up my truck ramp. I can take it off no trouble but I forget it's attatched. But it stripes good.:)

10. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I made sure the chains were lare enough not to hang anything. They will not snag on the gate, irrigation heads rocks ect. I haven't had a single problem with them. Been using chains for 3 yrs.