Scag SW 48A-17KA Smoking Motor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Brantley, Oct 12, 2013.

1. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

You don't even know that you NEED OS pistons yet, no?
    Any online vendor that deals in Kaw. can get em.http://www.jackssmallengines.com/ Or yer local Kaw. power dealer.
    You need to have yer engine code off the sticker. It should be FH500V-AS?? . The two digit AS number is what ya need ( like AS04).

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Before I would go thru the expense and labor of oversizing the engine...
    I would search the internet for the cheapest new FH500v engine I could find..
    Just take the gearset out of your block ...and install them in the new engine..
    Kawasaki doesn't sell short blocks..

3. Brantley

Brantley LawnSite Member

The cheapest I've seen is $1000. I'm just not willing to spend that.

Posted via Mobile Device

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

We moving to fast on this engine. Pistons oversize bore it's not the way to go on my opinion. What is the piston and ring to bore clearance :waving:

5. Brantley

Brantley LawnSite Member

I will have to wait to tear it down.

My main goal in starting this thread was to figure out my options and how much it might cost; therefore giving me enough information to make a wise decision. $200 for decent mower is good unless my only option is a new motor.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

That sounds a lot better :waving:

7. Brantley

Brantley LawnSite Member

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice. I will do a cylinder leak test and then measure my tolerances between cylinder piston and rings. Once I have completed these test I will return with my findings and we can go from there. Thank y'all again.

8. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

Friend bought a 52" with that engine that smoked on startup for $1500. Used it awhile and it kept bending a pushrod on one cylinder. Bought a new engine for $1500. Took the heads of the old engine and in the one cylinder the head of the piston was all carboned up so I guess it was whacking the exhaust valve when it was open.

My opinion is what do you expect for $200? I wouldn't waste my time trying to rebuild. You're not going to find parts to overhaul an engine that is past it life expectancy. You're supposed to buy a new one.

9. The Lawn Ranger CT.

The Lawn Ranger CT. LawnSite Member

Brantley~
    Try this site~ "small engine warehouse" I did a quick search and it shows a shortblock for the kaw~I was able to get a short block for my fh500v last yr through them~
    Here's the link to the page, hope it helps~
    http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/FH500V-AS01-SB.html

10. Brantley

Brantley LawnSite Member

My dad has a 48" scag as well his has a Briggs vanguard 16 hp.

I saw this engine on eBay and thought it might work. What do y'all think?

What would I need to add to it?
    Posted via Mobile Device