Scag SW walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Live4Mowin', Jun 30, 2003.

1. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

Im looking at the Scag SW fixed deck belt drive w/b, i was wondering how the belts do in wet weather

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try One Of these's There Great In Wet.
    John

745resized.jpg

3. Live4Mowin'

Hey John, is that a turf tracer? btw im trying to keep the mower within my budget so do you know how well the metros perform?

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using SCAG WB's (belt only) since 1988. Sometimes they slip a bit in the wet, but mainly its the brakes that tend to slip. Just after it rains, however you have more grip on those belts than you could ever imagine!

I feel belt drive WB's are a great entry level or light usage mower. If your going to be using it EVERY DAY 10hrs/day, then a Hydro would be more your speed.

SCAG makes one of the best WB's in the business.

5. Live4Mowin'

TLS, it will be light usage

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I'm Not Sure about The Metro?Never Used One.
    John

7. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I have a Scag Belt drive machine and it works very well in wet weather. I agree with TLS that sometimes the brakes slip a bit when they are wet.

If you are buying the 48" SW W/B, I recommend upgrading and getting the 17 Kawi. It costs about $300 more. The additional HP can never hurt.

Also spend the extra money and get the hour meter. Definitely a great investment.

I run stock blades on my machine and it stripes great. Best of luck with it.

8. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

I HAVE A 48/METRO FLOATING DECK I HAVE BEEN USING SINCE 96.
    IT WILL SLIP WHEN WET, BUT ITS NOT THAT BAD. ITS NOT A HYDRO BY ANY MEANS AND I HAVE NO REGRETS IT HAS PAID FOR ITS SELF MANY TIMES OVER. IT HAS A GREAT CUT AND I HAVE BEEN VERY HAPPY WITH IT.