Scag SW48-14KH info wanted

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tip184, Apr 4, 2000.

1. tip184

tip184 LawnSite Member

I just bought a used Scag SW48-14KH (belt-drive, Kohler 14 hp engine) that appears to be in good shape, but the previous owner couldn't find the manual. Scag has not responded to several email requests for info, and the Kohler web site does not have the manual for this engine available online.<p>What do I need to know about the mower? I bought it for residential use, and assume that if I change the oil and filters regularly and keep the blades sharp it should last a long time (using it once a week for a few hours at a time). Some questions that I have:<p>Is a mulch plate available for this model?<p>If I want to mulch what blades would be best on this model?<p>It pulls a bit to the right - how do I adjust this?<p>Anybody know when this model went out of production? (The serial # of mine is around 2290).<p>Thanks a lot for answers. If anyone has a manual for this mower please let me know. - tip184

2. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

A mulch kit can be bought from scag for $40, i personally am in the process of desging an OCDC like the dixie choppers have, but that will be a while, so for now the mulch plate is what i'm using, if its pulling to the right then you need to tighten the belt on the right wheel, i believe that is right, best blade combo as far as i'm concerned is a X patter with gator blades on the top and normal blades on the bottom, if u have the power put highlifts on the bottom, but my scag just doesn't have the extra HP needed to spin that much weight, i have a 12.5 kaw on a 36&quot; deck

3. sunrise

sunrise Banned

It takes Skags a long time to answer e-mail and some time they just send you the info you ask for, just as long as it matches up with production<br>for mulching I use the high lift blade I have had no good luck with gator blades<br>pulling to the right you need to adjust the knob at the end of the control shaft/ one way help, but it also could be something else, like the belt or a pulley. You may just have to play with it to find out.<p><p>

4. ZYAL8R

ZYAL8R LawnSite Member
    from ny

make sure the air pressure in both tires are the same. prolly around 12-14lbs. this can easily cause it to pull one way.<br>good luck with it.<br>