Scag SWZ hydro Fluid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by onelegjohn, Jun 19, 2002.

1. onelegjohn

onelegjohn LawnSite Member

I just bought a used scag 52" SWZ - I need to know what kind of Hydro fluid to put in the reserve. I went to Tractor Supply and bought universal hydraulic fluid (tractor transmission) 10W-20. They had Hydraulic Oil, but I didn't know what to get. I don't want to damage my pumps by getting too thin or too thick viscosity oil. The "Oil" was 20 weight. I am a chemist and this is a mystery to me....Can some one point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Nate

2. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

the SWZ is a walk behind right? if so, my 1998 scag hydro walk behind uses 10w30 motor oil. but my TT's use the 20-50.

3. onelegjohn

Can you check your manual to see the specs on the hydro trans requirements...as I don't have a manual. I have ordered one but I need to know before I add the oil. Thanks for the response.

Nate

4. onelegjohn

I am assuming the early 90's WB's used 10w-30 in their hydro trannies then. I am pretty sure I will be safe with the 10w-30 -

- Does anyone know if hydraulic oil is ok to use? -

5. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2001 Scag swz52 & the manual calls for 4 qts. of
    SAE 20W50.

Good luck, Steve

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2002 SWZU 52' hydro, Steve is correct SAE 20-50 for your Hydro mine also takes 4qts,,,,, Marks Mowing Service

7. gaunlet13

gaunlet13 LawnSite Member

Mobil 1 15w50 is what I put in my 2000 mdl STT.
    Talked w/Scag about it and they said it is an over kill but ok.
    I figured less friction gives less heat (good thing). I'm hoping that it will help the pumps last longer.

8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I use fully synthetic Mobil 1 20W50 for my 1996 52" SWZ and it works great but it is kinda expensive cause it's a racing oil. Oh well,
    Peace

9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

My Scag 52" Tiger Cub calls for 20W-50 for the Hydro oil, and straight 30W or 40W for the Engine oil depending on Temperature. I use 40W since I dont mow below 40F.

This info is straight form the manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck
    Jim

P.S. Buy the manual it's cheap.

10. onelegjohn

FYI - The oil has two numbers the first being the viscosity or thickness when warm - the second is the thickness when cold. So - really you could be making your pumps work harder using 20 weight intead of 10weight. The 20 is thicker and harder to push.

Nate