Scag SWZU Or SWZ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BASIC, Jan 3, 2003.

1. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

I need your opinions in picking my first WB for a new LCO.I'm going to get a SCAG 48"WB,either the SWZU or the SWZ.My dealer feels the SWZU with the floating deck is to heavy and unbalanced,that I won't be changing the deck height that often to warrant the extra expense.The other thing that concerns me is how are fixed decks on uneven ground.Many of the lawns in my area are anything but even.Thankyou for any help you may give,BASIC.

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

i got the fixed deck,it will scalp on uneven ground,sometimes badly! i dont know about the unbalanced stuff the dealer was slingin ya?:blob1:

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the fixed deck, it is lighter than the floater, just stand in the operator's position, and give it the heave-ho, to lift the deck, as if you are coming suddenly to a rock or something. The floater seems way heavier. Not sure of exact weights, but feel is everything. Would you want, or be able to, lift that heavy floating deck at the end of a long day? I would say the dealer didn't mean the deck itself is unbalanced, just in relation to the operator. Just my opinion, after using the SWZ for 2 years, and looking at the floating deck for a few minutes.
    Crawdad

4. Markus

Markus LawnSite Member

I have both the floater is alittle heavier and is much easier for changing heights, as far as scalping i like the fixed deck better once you get to know your machine the fixed hardley ever scalps...and is much easier for leaf mulching, But ido like the 18" drive tires on the floater great for curbs...Marks Mowing Service