Scag SWZU

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TurnerLawnCare, Mar 28, 2010.

1. TurnerLawnCare

TurnerLawnCare LawnSite Member

How come the swz ultimate series wasn't ever very popular? I'm looking into buying a used one and had this question. Every body seems to be using swz's but not swzu's? From the street the only difference i can see is floating deck vs. fixed deck. ??? so what's the deal.

2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I owned a SWZU for a short period and I have wondered this same question...

The only thing that I can figure is that they are more expensive so that may deter people from buying them...

3. TurnerLawnCare

TurnerLawnCare LawnSite Member

Same thoughts here.

4. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp LawnSite Member

I have one an LOVE It. Did you end up purchasing the one you were looking at? If not do they still have it? I am looking for another one. Ken

5. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i have a floating 52 velocity and dont like using compared to my 52 fixed deck. the floating deck scalps more than a fixed deck and wants to slide downs hills as it is heavier and taller. but overall, the floating deck is a great mower design.

6. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting, I thought the floating decks were to prevent scalping, how does it scalp more?

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got a 10 year old 36" hydro with floating deck and I sear it just keeps going. I am on the third engine and two drive motors and a couple new clutches but it is a war horse. We was looking at driving to Indiana to buy a used one a guy had but he wanted a little too much. I went thru it and replaced all the worn parts a couple years ago and that only ran about $300. I don't understand why it didn't sell either. We got a fixed deck unit from scag this year and hate that.....just like we hated it when we had two 32" scags with fixed decks several years ago. Fixed deck cuts great but ....rasing and lowering it is bad on a 48" deck.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A whatswxuaifuaeiytg?