Scag Tiger Cat or Deere Z925M

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by chefcam864, Apr 29, 2014.

1. chefcam864

chefcam864 LawnSite Member

I've looked at Toro, eXmark, Deere, & Scag. It's really down to the Deere & Scag. The JD has a 25 hp Kohler EFI, 54" deck & is $8600. The scag is a 52" with 22.5 hp Kawasaki and is $8,300.
    The JD is freakin HUGE compared to the tiger cat. I'm not sure if that's going to be a problem for me or not , but I do like the compactness of the scag. Im 6'6" 270 and the deere is more comfortable for big guy. I'd have to buy long lap bars for the scag, at a cost of around $200, to be able to fit. I think these are both quality machines, but I've had a thing for Scag. However , the dealer is about 40 mins away.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  2. benelli_t

benelli_t LawnSite Member

The JD... but I would get the Kawasaki engine. I have never had any luck with Kohler engines. Never tried the newer models yet though.

3. Marshmallow

Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Get the JD. The Kohler will use less fuel, and have lower maintenance since it requires no valve adjustments. The Kohler also has a larger oil capacity and oil drain hoses.

John Deere is a better machine until you get up to the turf tiger size.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. chefcam864

Ok, now I'm not sure if the deere is EFI. It's the z295m flex fuel. The dealer said he thought it was EFI, but, due to past experiences, I have little trust in dealer's technical knowledge .
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. worm1

worm1 LawnSite Member

I just bought the tiger cat and couldn't be happier. I'm 6'3 and the bars would hit my knees when forward so I made a 2 1/2 inch extension to raise them. A little scag gold spray paint and it looks factory.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. chefcam864

I really liked both of them. The deere was definitely the more comfortable of the two, but it just seemed huge. Granted, I'm stepping up from an 48" Metro so anything would seem big. Do any of you know if the flex fuel JD is EFI? I'm sort of confused about that one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Marshmallow

Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I don't think the flex fuel model is EFI but I would advise to get the EFI model and run ethanol free gas in it. You can google stations with ethanol free gas in your area.

8. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

9. chefcam864

It had an automotive type fuel filter and wires coming out of where the carb would be, so I think it is EFI. The flex fuel thing is confusing.
    I run noting but 93 octane ethanol fuel as it is. Not sure if it helps the mowers much, but the handhelds sure do appreciate it.
    Anyone had trouble with the JD getting into tight places? The damn thing just seemed huge to me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Flex fuel may mean it will accept propane. Or e85 or something.

Where's ridin green been lol
    Posted via Mobile Device