scag tiger club

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Apr 23, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

anyone used this zero turn.. i see scag is having a sale, looks like 6k for a 48 inch 19hp kawi... i wanted to know if this is a good buy.. does it give a good quility cut. i was in the market for a commercial zero turn with paying the least amount as possible.. any input is helpful.. thanks

2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 52" 23HP model. I think it is a good deal if you can use the 48" deck. Buy the biggest deck you can use or you will need a new mower in no time.

Mine cuts excellent from high weeds to normal lawns.

Jimbo

3. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I love mine, while I sometimes wish I had a bigger deck, for $6K its hard to argue comparatively speaking...

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Bought one two weeks ago as a back up to my Turf Tiger. Good cut real quick and good blade speed. I like it fine. But then again I only buy Scags. About twelve years ago the standard was a 48" cut with an 18hp motor. So you will be fine. This is not a sale though, this is a promotion item and once they are gone they are gone. That is why I grabbed one. So have fun.

5. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

That sale goes for the 61inch deck as well with a different motor on it. So if you need a bigger deck at a good price look into the cub, dont know how well they would do on a hill with that big of deck and that small of machine. All in all a great deal.:cool:
    Matt

6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

My 52" seems to do well on hills. These have a pretty low center of gravity so that helps alot. I dont have alot to compare it to but I cut some pretty steep stuff and havent rolled it. I have had it slide but thats about it.

Jimbo

7. Huften Lawn Care

Huften Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from CT

I had a 52" cub with a 23kawy. I traded it in this year for a Walker 48"GHS. The cub was the original model and was not good on hills. It went up them fine but going down was a different story. I had the collection system also and it was good for dry leaves only. The Walker has a much nicer cut and does not scalp like the cub. Traction going down hills is super, while going up isnt. Go figure? All in all the Walker cut is superior. Even though the ground speed is not as fast I find myself still making better time. Good luck. Sorry to go off on the Walker tangent, but I just love the thing.

8. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

I just picked up a 01 61"/27 kawi Liquid. The machine performs superbly. I cut the same piece of property side by side to the Exmark & asked someone to evaluate the cut & they thought the same mower did both. Very nice cut. I did spend some time adjusting the deck. Once that was set, it shreds! I definately would buy another but would also look at others

9. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

what is the difference between a 61 inch turf tiger and a 61 inch tiger cub? my dealer has both and they are about 500 dollars apart. any big advantage besides horsepower? the tiger has the liquid cooled kawi and the cub has a 25 kawi air cooled I am about to buy but still dont see any real advantage of the tiger.

10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

If there is only $500 diff. between the two with same size deck. Buy the Turf Tiger. Stronger frame, liquid cooled engine. Just take a good look. But you can't go wrong with either. Liquid will last much longer and is quieter IMO. By the way I have both and the Turf Tiger is better on hills.