1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Tiger Cub 19 HP Kawi or 26 HP Briggs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jshank, May 3, 2008.

1. jshank

jshank LawnSite Member

What are your opinions on what is the better choice for long life, the 19 HP Kawi or 26 HP Briggs in a Scag Tiger Cub.
  2. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

More horeses the beter, I just picked up my tiger cub with the 26 and love it. I also have the collection system, works great with the 26, I would'nt go any less.
  3. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same options to consider when I purchased my Tiger Cub. The dealer told me the Kawi was a much better engine since the Briggs was not the Vanguard model. I chose the Kawi and have been happy with the power. A little thirsty at first though.
  4. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I personally would NEVER get a Briggs engine. The 19 hp kawi will be enough to do any kind of cutting. Ive tested out a 19 hp kawi in very wet grass, and there was minimal bogging from the motor.
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think that particular briggs is junk. My cousin blew one at 200 hours. The mechanic calls them briggs and scrap iron. You can't get a kohler on that unit?
  6. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

The 26hp Briggs ELS is a pretty decent engine but has less torque than a comparable Vanguard engine and less torque than the 19Kaw. 26hp and 33ft lbs of torque versus 19hp and 37 ft lbs torque. In my area it's about $600 difference and I leave it to customer preference but am selling more Briggs than Kawasaki cause the price difference is too big for what you are getting. What's screwy is that it's only $200 difference on a Freedom Z to go from the 26 Briggs ELS to the 19 Kawi, but on a Tiger Cub it's $600 difference in my area. That's strange imo. I generally prefer Kawi to Briggs in that size unit, but also feel people unfairly bash Briggs engines even when they have no experience with them. So much of it is on hearsay rather than personal experience. Drive a Turf Tiger with the 35 LC Big Block and tell me you'll never have a Briggs... (yes I know that engine isn't totally a Briggs design)

It depends on who the distributor is in that region. My distributor does not carry the 23 Kohler, 48" Tiger Cub (the only Kohler option in a 48)" and would have to special order it at such a high price that very few would be interested in it.
  7. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

Drive a Turf Tiger with the 35 LC Big Block and tell me you'll never have a Briggs... (yes I know that engine isn't totally a Briggs design)

You can not compare the Briggs Vanguard to the ELS. Yes they both cary the Briggs name plate, but the Vanguard is a true commercial engine.
  8. bare31

bare31 LawnSite Member

I have a 26 briggs w/ about 50 hours on it. no problems yet. I test drove the 19 kaw and it seemed to bog in thick grass. but I do wish it was a vanguard just for the piece of mind.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Good post we are running the 19 48,and i would love to try the 26 to see myself,the 26 model was a little cheaper in price.
  10. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

I love my tiger cub with the 19 kawi. I have about 70 hours on it with no problems. I mow mainly in thick st.augustine and even when it is moist in the morning it only bogs barely when I am mulching. Keep in mind this is going at a little above mowing speed which for me is flat out. I love it to death mows better than any of the other competing brands in my are. Just my 2 cents. My dealer also recomended the kawi.